cannot get sims to run

i've installed the sims 2 and i cannot get it to run. it keeps giving me a
message about failing to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters?
i'm basic internet savvy with computers.. does this mean i actually have to
purchase a piece of hardware or software?

thanks much.

iris

Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

"Iris J Jefferson" <ijjefferson@cableone.net> wrote in message
> i've installed the sims 2 and i cannot get it to run. it keeps giving me
> message about failing to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics
adapters?
> i'm basic internet savvy with computers.. does this mean i actually have
> purchase a piece of hardware or software?
>
> thanks much.
>
> iris

I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only, so
even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows
xp without sp2 :(
Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
really have no idea on that one.

> I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
> Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only,
so
> even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
> Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall
windows
> xp without sp2 :(
> Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
> really have no idea on that one.

Yes, that's it.. There was a fix I read somewhere though.. how to
be able to update your directx.. you may want to search on it, because
I'm sure I saw a workaround posted on some website somewhere.

Bluegenie2 wrote:
> Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

I thought the game installed that itself if you didn't have it.

--
--Cuth

> Means you need to go get directx 9.0c

But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

Jim Vieira wrote:

>>Means you need to go get directx 9.0c
>

> But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
> card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
> a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
> were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
> older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
> tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

Also update your drivers. Maybe a long shot, but it never hurts anyway.
Even if it doesn't help for Sims, other things might run better.

--
--Cuth

jay

I had the same problem, had to go by a 121.00 vid card

--
"Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
>> Means you need to go get directx 9.0c
>
> But if you already have DX9.0c installed, then your video
> card is not good enough. But I seem to recall reading about
> a bug of some kind when it first came out.. where many people
> were getting that error, I think it was on Radeon cards using
> older drivers or something. Can't remember. But I'd try the
> tech support over at the main sims 2 website as well.

sid

>I just read about this problem at the forum at LIU too.
> Seems that the sp2 patch for xp makes the directx files become read-only,
> so
> even tho it appears to be updating direct x, it really is not.
> Unfortunately it appears that the only way to fix it is to reinstall
> windows
> xp without sp2 :(
> Maybe if you do that, install sims, then apply sp2 it would work, but i
> really have no idea on that one.

/unlurk

I had this problem

Reinstalled Windows ...and put on the newest XPSP2 and directx was
"upgraded" to directx 9.0c
Little bit of a ah heck considering that all ya need is DX9.0c but have to
download a 200+mb file to get it

typical windows.com

\lurk

SiD