MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Hyper 212x Cooler
PSU: Corsair 600M
GPU: GTX 970 Gigabyte
SSD Kingston 120GB
HD Seagate 1TB
Windows 10
Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR3 1600MHz CMY8GX3M2A1600C9, 8GB (2 x 4GB)

I have tried CPU overclock with 4.4GHz, even my GPU OC in order to get a stable 60fps but at some point it will drop around 20fps and then I notice stuttering.

The fps keeps around 50 and 45.

I tried disabling Cool n quiet and Turbo core feature but nothing changed.

I have installed amd catalyst, amd overdrive, msi afterburner, I got cpuz and gpuz all the time monitoring frequency and temperatures. A few months ago, when I still had the stock cooler, the problem was overheating (around 75 C) and computer shutting down. Now I have hyper 212x and temperature is under control. Even under stress it gets around 47 C, pretty good compared to previous situation.

I have been trying different configurations, I reinstalled Nvidia drivers and still nothing has changed.

I have tried this configuration View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC/comments/43ilps/best_gta_5_settings_for_the_gtx_970_hands_down/
without success.

I've been playing around graphics settings inside GTA V game console but every time the PC got the same stuttering problem and fps drops...

I have changed the windows power plans many times from balanced to high performance, and changed processor power management many times without success though.

Is it time to accept my rig is too old and the components do not work as before, or there is something I'm missing here?

I just decided to post here because I have read almost every thread about FX 8350 problems and none of them solved this issue...

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
While an 8350 is showing its age, 60FPS on GTAV should still be possible.

I'd suspect your VRMs may be overheating &/or degraded. IIRC, that board isn't too capable for the 125W TDP chips, especially after a few years of relatively hard use

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While an 8350 is showing its age, 60FPS on GTAV should still be possible.

I'd suspect your VRMs may be overheating &/or degraded. IIRC, that board isn't too capable for the 125W TDP chips, especially after a few years of relatively hard use

Solution