Question Cannot install a clean version of Windows 10

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I recently bought a new PC. I have followed the stickied thread about how to re-install Windows 10.

Today I bought a bran new USB key, and put the windows 10 files on there as per the thread. It worked. (I only have one SSD)

Few hours later after updating my drivers on my new computer, I got BSOD with many errors over and over and over again. I tried to repair, and that failed with errors. Now I am trying to re-install Windows 10 cleanly.

This is not working well. I still get an error. I even formatted my new USB, and installed a new version of windows 10 on it. Even after I deleted all different drivers and tried this, I still get the following error:

View: https://imgur.com/a/m1giuZz

My only thought is to somehow get to the first screen when you first try to boot your new build up for the first time... "select any key to install the OS...".

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Nothing comes up for the drivers when I try to install them. The folders don't open, and even when I select one it says nothing can be found.

Plus, I was able to install it earlier today without any problems.

I am out of options... Electromagnetic to my SSD? Would that prompt the computer to say "press any key to install OS" like it does when you first boot up a new build?

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I figured it out.

I was searching around in the BIOS. I came across this "Clean Erase SSD" tool. I also switched back my RAM is the 2400 MHz and not the 3000 MHz (as that was the default we discussed in the build thread).

I tried the Erase tool before I thought, and it went from 0% to 100% almost instantly. It then said it was "in a frozen state" and to power off and then on for it to take effect. This time, it did not say that, and the erase took some time.

I do not know if the erase tool fixed it, or it was resetting the RAM back to the default of 2400 when it should be 3000. In any case, I went back to my BIOS and put the RAM back to 3000. Which, I do not know if is good because isn't that technically an OC? (2933 or whatever is the maximum?)

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I ran the Prime95 stress test. It's been a while, so I don't know if i should have waited for an output. It ran for 10 minutes. I got:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

But Idk if this is normal part of the program (torture test). I was just curious about my max temps and performance of my CPU and GPU.

The max temp I got was 77 degrees.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
No temps and thermals are fine,

Usually, that's caused by an unstable overclock. Are you overclocked?

Nope. I am trying to run it again, but I might have hit a wrong button when I ran it the first time because this time I don't have twelve mini screens showing each core. hmm. Let me play with this.

It says: set affinity to run worker on logical CPU #8. But I selected number of torture test threads to run as 12.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Sorry I am such a noob. When I first ran that test, I had Firefox open... No wonder I got errors.

I rant five stress tests for 6 minutes with 0 errors and 0 warnings. It maxed out at 80c for a couple minutes. I decided to stop because I was getting nervous about the temp, and my RX 570 "fan stop" light came on through the case.

Edit: Now I am getting errors again. Hmm, this is very unsettling.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Here is what I did. I went back into the BIOS and set the RAM back to the default of 2400MHz. Did the Prime95 test and it was fine. Went back into the BIOS and put the RAM to 2933MHz. Did the Prime95 test, got no error. Then went back into the BIOS and put the RAM to 3000MHz. Error. Went back to 2933MHz, error. Went back to 2400Mhz, no error. Went back to 2933MhZ, no error. Simply re-ran the stress test again at 2933Mhz, no error.

For some reason, it was defaulted to set worker to core # 8 for all the tests. I only ran the tests for 5-6 minutes (5 completed tests). Usually the errors happened between tests 1 - 2.

I haven't tried messing around with the voltage. But where does this leave us? I will probably make a new thread in the appropriate section as this is not about the windows 10 operating system anymore haha.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX