Cannot install graphics card driver.

Apr 25, 2018
Hi everyone,

So Ive recently bought a PC from CyberPower and its been nothing but frustration. Out of the box I got the BSOD but fixed that by reinstalling windows but as I finally get on my desktop and entered device manager I noticed I have my Intel UHD Graphics 630 being recognized but my AMD Radeon RX580 4GB graphics card is being displayed as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with a little yellow triangle overlaying it. I tried installing the drivers through multiple ways (Device Manager, Radeon Software, and Windows Update through settings) but I get the same BSOD while my PC tries to install the driver. Stop code I get is "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED atikmdag.sys". Ive looked up a tutorial and even tried to search for an answer online but I cant seem to find anything to help me out. One thing I tried that did work was installing the drivers through Safe Mode and my graphics card was recognized but as soon as I would exit Safe Mode my computer would boot up to a recovery screen where I would have to restore to a certain point and I will be stuck with the same issue. Any help is very appreciated and sorry for making this so long its just Ive been dealing with this for 3 days and CyberPowers tech support isnt the best.

My PC specs:
i5-8600k
AMD Radeon RX580 4GB
Asus TUF H370-pro mobo
16 GB of DDR4 ram (8gbx2)
600 watt PS
240gb SSD + 1TB HDD

Solution
You recently got it, so in warranty? Contact their support, no sense is trying things that may void your warranty as it may be a hardware issue. Clean Windows and a clean driver setup should have fixed it if the issue was software.

Latest posts