Question Cannot Install Graphics Card Drivers

Soq

Sep 19, 2021
So about five months ago, my GPU got the orange screen of death while playing a video game. Since that happened, I was not able to boot Windows with the GPU in the computer. Everytime I tried, the GPU would freeze, then take me to the automatic repair section. Fast forward to today, I recently reset my computer which cleared all graphics drivers, so when I put the GPU in, Windows booted with no drivers installed. I was able to successfully shut down and reboot Windows with GPU installed with no drivers multiple times. After this discovery, I tried to reinstall my driver, and halfway through its installation, my computer froze and blackscreened. When I tried to restart again, it went back to what it used to do, crash at boot and not successfully boot Windows.

My clear take from is, the GPU will not work with drivers installed and will work with none.

Maybe I am installing the wrong driver?

Drivers Tried:
GeForce Game Ready Driver 471.96

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M
GPU: GeForce GTX 770
RAM: 16GB -DDR3
PSU: Seasonic 620GM

Last edited:
So about five months ago, my GPU got the orange screen of death while playing a video game. Since that happened, I was not able to boot Windows with the GPU in the computer. Everytime I tried, the GPU would freeze, then take me to the automatic repair section. Fast forward to today, I recently reset my computer which cleared all graphics drivers, so when I put the GPU in, Windows booted with no drivers installed. I was able to successfully shut down and reboot Windows with GPU installed with no drivers multiple times. After this discovery, I tried to reinstall my driver, and halfway through its installation, my computer froze and blackscreened. When I tried to restart again, it went back to what it used to do, crash at boot and not successfully boot Windows.

My clear take from is, the GPU will not work with drivers installed and will work with none.

Maybe I am installing the wrong driver?

Drivers Tried:
GeForce Game Ready Driver 471.96

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M
GPU: GeFore GTX 770
RAM: 16GB -DDR3
PSU: Seasonic 620GM
Tried to total clean and repaste your gpu?

Soq

Sep 19, 2021
Goto guru3d.com and get DDU. Use that through safemode to fully erase any old driver files and associated registry links. Make sure to have a freshly downloaded copy of the drivers for the gpu on the desktop.

Do you think you could find me a driver for my GTX 770? Every driver I try seems to make it crash.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd go old school to start. Anything pre-RTX. Then start upgrading newer. Most of the newer versions aren't anything but RTX stuff and game optimizations, nvidia supplies windows with the whql natively, so has to support the full gammut of cards that'll handle Win10CE.

Soq

Sep 19, 2021
I can't see it being a gpu issue with a driver install failing half way through. That smacks of a driver/software conflict (ZoneAlarm Antivirus was famous for corrupting installs) or something storage related.

This was a prebuilt PC that I've had since December of 2019. The PC has run perfectly fine with no problems until the orange screen thing.

Soq

Sep 19, 2021
What did you do (if anything) in repair section? That's usually a fix for OSD errors.

In the repair section I just booted into safe mode, and ran DDU and used the erase all drivers and shut down computer. When I restarted it, it booted and got to the driver installation, but halfway through fails and blackscreen.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off the pc manually. Turn it back on. Before windows can load, turn it off manually. Does this 2-4 times. Eventually, windows will get fed up and boot into repair mode. Go to advanced options, troubleshooting, repair this pc. Let it do its thing. It may reboot several times, but follow the directions it gives.

Soq

Sep 19, 2021
Turn off the pc manually. Turn it back on. Before windows can load, turn it off manually. Does this 2-4 times. Eventually, windows will get fed up and boot into repair mode. Go to advanced options, troubleshooting, repair this pc. Let it do its thing. It may reboot several times, but follow the directions it gives.

I did this but I didn't see a "Repair This PC" option.