Cannot Install Media Player 9 or 10

Marty

I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it was
updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by unclicking
on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the install
package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue screen.
And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.

Any suggestions?
TIA,
Marty

What is the exact text on the blue screen?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it
>was
> updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
> unclicking
> on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
> install
> package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
> exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
> screen.
> And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
> Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
>
> Any suggestions?
> TIA,
> Marty

Marty

Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the technical
data are

Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)

I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about nothing
to me.

Thanks!
Marty

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the exact text on the blue screen?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it
> >was
> > updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
> > unclicking
> > on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
> > install
> > package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
> > exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
> > screen.
> > And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
> > Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > TIA,
> > Marty

Aha....an 8E

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

Try updating your graphics cards drivers, then the soundcard drivers then
DirectX (www.microsoft.com/directx) and see if there is any change.
--

> Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the
> technical
> data are
>
> Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)
>
> I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about
> nothing
> to me.
>
> Thanks!
> Marty
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What is the exact text on the blue screen?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as
>> >it
>> >was
>> > updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
>> > unclicking
>> > on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
>> > install
>> > package displays a message that a later version is already installed,
>> > and
>> > exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
>> > screen.
>> > And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
>> > Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > TIA,
>> > Marty

Marty

Cari –

Thanks much for the ideas, but they didn’t work. I went to Drivers.com,
scanned my system for new drivers, and found new ones for video, audio, and
others. I installed DirectX9.0C, installed the new Audio driver, but was
unable to install either of 2 video drivers from the manufacturers' websites
(Windows refused to recognize the INF files, I don’t know why) so I swapped
out the video card and the monitor. The new card was recognized by Windows
so it was installed OK, even with higher resolutions. I tried to install
MP10 and once again, it crashed into a blue screen.

Any other ideas?

Marty

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Aha....an 8E
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e
>
> Try updating your graphics cards drivers, then the soundcard drivers then
> DirectX (www.microsoft.com/directx) and see if there is any change.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the
> > technical
> > data are
> >
> > Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)
> >
> > I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about
> > nothing
> > to me.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Marty
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> What is the exact text on the blue screen?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you have a retail edition of Windows XP, you could try a Repair
Installation....

Which graphics card do you have?