[SOLVED] Cannot install W7 on SSD

BoSSPEED

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Hi all,

I'm trying to install W7 64bit Ultimate on a friends PC but cannot install W7. I've attached the error images below. I've already tried changing the partition style to GPT and MBR but have had no luck. Is it a setting in BIOS that I'm also suppose to change? The MB is a nothing special - its a GA-F2A58M-HD2. Any help appreciated.
QJH5I5W.jpg
yHuUjQi.jpg

Solution
There is one and only one target drive in the build? If there are others, disconnect them. And make sure the disk shows in the BIOS. Usually I put the flash drive in first place for booting for this operation. So your target hard drive would be the #2 position.

When I do an install I usually format the target drive first. This usually means that the target drive has to be put in another system (for formatting), or in the original build, but not carrying the OS. Just a simple quick format to neutralize any junk. The installation process should take care of formatting and partitioning in the way needed to boot.

That may not help but it's what I've got. (It is of course a little late in the game to be installing Win 7. )...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
There is one and only one target drive in the build? If there are others, disconnect them. And make sure the disk shows in the BIOS. Usually I put the flash drive in first place for booting for this operation. So your target hard drive would be the #2 position.

When I do an install I usually format the target drive first. This usually means that the target drive has to be put in another system (for formatting), or in the original build, but not carrying the OS. Just a simple quick format to neutralize any junk. The installation process should take care of formatting and partitioning in the way needed to boot.

That may not help but it's what I've got. (It is of course a little late in the game to be installing Win 7. ) When I do these sorts of things I try to clone the installed drive/OS first in case I end up getting in over my head. That way I can return to square 1 if I need to just by swapping in the clone.

Frankly, unless you're one of those people who does this 20 times a day--I don't think an OS install is ever completely easy if it's something you just do every now and again. There are so many ways to screw up. For me, at any rate.

Greg N

Solution

BoSSPEED

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015

That may not help but it's what I've got. (It is of course a little late in the game to be installing Win 7. ) When I do these sorts of things I try to clone the installed drive/OS first in case I end up getting in over my head. That way I can return to square 1 if I need to just by swapping in the clone.

Frankly, unless you're one of those people who does this 20 times a day--I don't think an OS install is ever completely easy if it's something you just do every now and again. There are so many ways to screw up. For me, at any rate.

Greg N

Appreciate the quick response. There was another HDD which I disconnected before trying to install the OS. The SDD does show up in the BIOS. At first I tried to install without formatting but that did not work, so I tried it with formatting. I then got an error saying it wouldn't be able to install on GPT partition (something along those lines), so then I tried MBR and got another error (which is attached above in image 1).

Installing Windows 7 to a MBR disk can only be done if the BIOS is set to boot in Legacy BIOS mode.

Setting it to boot in UEFI mode requires the use of a GPT disk, which Windows 7 did not natively support so the install media must be SP1. Here's where it gets tricky: if installing from USB install media, the USB stick must also be partitioned as a GPT disk, formatted FAT32 to boot.

It's less hassle to just use a Windows 7 DVD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts