Question Cannot install Windows 10 on an eMMC drive ?

Jul 6, 2022
I got an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 (AO1-431-C8KZ) last week from a friend.
Turning it on displays the Acer logo, and few seconds later, a screen with the message "No Bootable Device" and a little HDD logo.
I entered the BIOS using the F2 key. The computer was in UEFI mode, with Secure Boot and TPM enabled.

I couldn't change almost any settings in the BIOS, so I followed the instructions in jasaroya's last comment here and gained access to all of the options.
Nothing I did ever worked. Disabling Secure Boot + TPM and changing to Legacy mode only changed the way the "No bootable device" message was displayed.
So I thought of reinstalling Windows and got the setup tool on a USB drive using Rufus, with the drive in GPT mode or thingy idk.

When I got to the part where you select a partition to install Windows, it couldn't detect any. It couldn't even detect a drive at all, but the eMMC drive does show up in the BIOS. Not in the boot manager, though.

Booting in Legacy mode made the boot manager detect the eMMC drive, but booting from it gave me the "no bootable device" error again.
Using the Windows Setup tool and selecting MBR in Rufus allowed me to boot into the USB drive in Legacy mode, but my cursor was gone. I managed to get to the partition selection screen and the eMMC drive is right there! But I can't select it to install Windows. The full error message is in this Imgur album I created with ten screenshots of the multiple errors I encountered in my tests.

Any help is appreciated.

Jul 6, 2022
That would only be the cause if it is a 32bit CPU.
Or otherwise incompatible CPU.

What is in it?
Not everything in a Chromebook is Windows compatible.
I got no idea.
A quick google search reveals this laptop does come with Windows 10 installed. The eMMC drive appears to be completely empty based on the screenshots I got from the Windows Setup tool in legacy mode.

Also, in the fourth screenshot there's an option to "Load driver". What driver exactly should I get? And do I extract it, or leave it as a .zip?

USAFRet

Titan
I got no idea.
A quick google search reveals this laptop does come with Windows 10 installed. The eMMC drive appears to be completely empty based on the screenshots I got from the Windows Setup tool in legacy mode.

Also, in the fourth screenshot there's an option to "Load driver". What driver exactly should I get? And do I extract it, or leave it as a .zip?
Sorry, I read it as Chromebook. Not "Cloudbook".

It may well be a 32bit CPU.
Which is incompatible with your 64bit OS.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, I believe one of my Asus Transformers had a N3060, with a 32GB eMMC.

Running Win 10 Home.
And then, the first Windows update.
Tears resulted...lol

Using it was painful, to say the least.

And then 1/2 the keyboard died, and it was retired completely.

Recent version of Win 10 may indeed not install in a drive that small.

Jul 6, 2022
OK, I believe one of my Asus Transformers had a N3060, with a 32GB eMMC.

Running Win 10 Home.
And then, the first Windows update.
Tears resulted...lol

Using it was painful, to say the least.

And then 1/2 the keyboard died, and it was retired completely.

Recent version of Win 10 may indeed not install in a drive that small.

Do you suggest I try Linux then? Any distro for a Windows fanboy (lol)?