Cannot install Windows 10 to SSD

Skeater

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I know this topic comes up many many times all across the internet but I've tried all the common solutions and feel I may need some specific help!

If this doesn't work I'm assuming the SSD needs returning. Anyway, I put together a tower out of some left over bits of 2 old towers

- ASRock P55 Pro
- Intel Core i3
- 4GB 1600 DDR3 RAM
- ATI Radeon 4650
- OCZ 600W power supply

I used an old 1TB HDD to install Win 10 and it worked, but I wanted to stick an SSD in to speed it up a bit.

I bought a Kingston 240GB v300 SATA3, stuck it in, tried to clone the HDD to it but I got problems with incompatible sector sizes.

So I just thought I'd install direct to the SSD via a USB stick, had some issues with the partitions being in the wrong format and used Diskpart to switch format types (can't remember exactly what I did) and also did a lot of CLEAN commands.

But I kept getting this error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

If I ignore all that and just click NEXT anyway, it says

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information see the Setup log files"

I've tried using windows to delete and create the partition, tried booting woth the SSD to boot priority 1 and then hitting F11 to choose the USB stick, still get the same errors.

The SATA controller is AHCI, the cable is plugged into SATA port 1 and I have no other internal devices (no HDD or DVD drive)

I have a wireless usb mouse and keyboard plugged in.

I decided it was thenold motherboards fault.

So I bought a new MSI H81I mini itx and an intel g3460 and a lovely tidy media centre case. Built it, booted it, cried at the beautiful new mouse friendly BIOS (been a while since I self built) and set off on a happy jorney to install windows 10 on my shiny new kit.

Except I'm getting exactly the same problem.

Oh and the only other thing that seems weird is my SSD is listed as Drive 2 (which is what it was in the old tower!) but I only have that 1 ssd in this new mini build (shouldn't it be 0?)

Is the SSD just crap?

Skeater

Commendable
May 29, 2016
@alexiou I'll have a look for the windows setting and disable legacy boot

@ceotase would I do that by downloading it from Kingston onto usb? Or using the mobo cd?

Skeater

Commendable
May 29, 2016
The windows 8 bios didnt make any difference.

I put the old HDD back in and windows booted up from that without a problem (so the rest of the hardware is fine!)

I used brand new SATA cables for both drives as well, still no luck.

I ran the Kingston SSD toolbox and it says "no drives connected to the system" and I ran both of the firmware updates they have on this page:

https://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/products?model=sv300s3

...but they both say there are no firmware updates available. They do at least list the drive as secondary though

Do you reckon it's worth putting a different brand SSD in to see if that works?