Question Cannot install windows 10 with RAID Controller

Feb 28, 2019
I'm having real trouble getting this set up,
What I'm trying to achieve is the following
Samsung 500GB SSD: Windows 10
WD Black 3TB HDD: Games and some media

The trouble starts with the two new Seagate Ironwolf 10TB I want to set up in a RAID 1 setup for Movies.

My MBO is a ROG Maximus VIII Formula, I don't mind reinstalling windows.
So I went into the bios changed the controller to RAID from AHCI, unplugged the SSD and 3TB HDD, configured the 2 10TB HDD as raid 1 within the BIOS. Plugged back in the SSD and 3TB.
Put in the WIN10 memory stick.
Format all the Drives
Go to install on the SSD and I get this message.

"Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS Menu."

Okay, so I look online a bit and some people say I'll need drivers for it to work.
I put in the MBO disk and click the load drivers button navigate my way to what I think is the right driver under the RAID folder.
Still get the same message

Think maybe I'll need an newer driver.
Switch back to AHCI controller, install windows on SSD fine, go onto Asus MBO website, download Intel Rapid Technology driver (think it's correct one), put it on memory stick. Get to Win 10 install page. Click load drivers button. Find it on the memory stick.
Still same message.
Run out of ideas.

I did update the BIOS to latest version and made no difference. I'm sure I'm missing something, I did learn that when switching to the raid controller it changes all SATA ports to RAID. But I thought this was still possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Feb 28, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I only wish to RAID the two 10TB HDDs in a raid 1. Is it not possible to do it for just those. I want the SSD and the other 3TB HDD to be normal.

I think and know it's possible.

Having controller in RAID mode is only way to have disks in RAID
I do not know why such complicated setup (all the unplugging/plugging/stuff) was done though.

I would do:
Have sata in RAID mode
connect boot disk (500GB SSD) (I usually prefer sata0)
install windows
install necessary drivers/stuff
boot to see it works still.
Connect other disks
configure the two 10GB disks in RAID 1 (disk contents will go poof at this point)
Disks not set up to be part of RAID volume will work just same as in AHCI
use as needed.

Possibe problems might appear if the sata ports used for boot/windows disk and/or RAID disks change, so choose ports before setting things up.
While you might need the RAID driver to install windows (bit of luck depending on if windows has it or not)

Also note that if you are using the black ports for windows disk, those are on Asmedia controller which will quite likely not support booting from. (or raid for that matter)

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Once Windows is installed on the single 500GB SSD with the SATA controller set to AHCI mode you can go ahead and change to RAID mode after. You just need to do some prep before you change the SATA mode.

So, once the OS is up and running in AHCI mode do the following:
  1. Make sure IRST is not installed. Uninstall it if so.
  2. Click start -> system configuration
  3. Go to Boot tab -> check Safe boot box
  4. Apply and restart into the UEFI
  5. Change SATA mode to RAID -> Save changes and restart
  6. Boot Windows in safe mode
  7. Click start -> system configuration
  8. Select Normal startup or go to the boot tab and uncheck safe boot and restart
  9. Install IRST and reboot
  10. Launch IRST -> create RAID array

I just did this yesterday, if you have any issues, just ask. I am using IRST 16.8.0.1000 on a Z170 mobo. Should work no prob on yours too.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The RAID controller on some consumer boards is very simple and doesn't support what you're trying to do. Its either RAID everything, or AHCI (don't RAID everything).

What you should do is install Windows on your SSD, set up all the drives, and then if you MUST RAID 1 you can use Windows Storage Spaces in Win 10, which can mirror the two drives in software

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-set-up-raid-windows-10,36783.html

Keep in mind you will gain no performance here, in fact they may run slower when they need to resync. You're much better off just running 1 10TB drive and backing up your movies to the other drive in an external enclosure.

The reason I say this is the drives are always synced, so if you're worried about your movies getting corrupted if the system crashes or something, 2 Drives in RAID 1 will just have 2 copies of corrupted data. Literally the only thing RAID 1 does is protect from hardware failure, in the event you need to be back up and running immediately (like in a business). If you were to just say take daily backups of your 10tb movie drive to your second 10tb drive, then if your "live" drive failed, you would still have clean backed up copies of everything.

RAID is not a backup.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019
Once Windows is installed on the single 500GB SSD with the SATA controller set to AHCI mode you can go ahead and change to RAID mode after. You just need to do some prep before you change the SATA mode.

So, once the OS is up and running in AHCI mode do the following:
  1. Make sure IRST is not installed. Uninstall it if so.
  2. Click start -> system configuration
  3. Go to Boot tab -> check Safe boot box
  4. Apply and restart into the UEFI
  5. Change SATA mode to RAID -> Save changes and restart
  6. Boot Windows in safe mode
  7. Click start -> system configuration
  8. Select Normal startup or go to the boot tab and uncheck safe boot and restart
  9. Install IRST and reboot
  10. Launch IRST -> create RAID array
I just did this yesterday, if you have any issues, just ask. I am using IRST 16.8.0.1000 on a Z170 mobo. Should work no prob on yours too.

Hi thanks for the reply,
I saw something similar to this on another post and am trying your instructions as it seem the best to way to get what I want to achieve.
I've run into a problem that when I tick the safe mode box then switch the controller to raid, it dosnt boot windows in safe mode when I save a restart. Takes me back to BIOS. I go into the boot menu and nothing is listed there. Only when I go back to AHCI do I see them in the boot options.
Any ideas?

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Hi thanks for the reply,
I saw something similar to this on another post and am trying your instructions as it seem the best to way to get what I want to achieve.
I've run into a problem that when I tick the safe mode box then switch the controller to raid, it dosnt boot windows in safe mode when I save a restart. Takes me back to BIOS. I go into the boot menu and nothing is listed there. Only when I go back to AHCI do I see them in the boot options.
Any ideas?
Update the motherboard's UEFI? It shouldn't be doing that. Make sure you are using all Intel IRST ports on your motherboard. Ports numbered 11 in the following picture:

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 6