Cannot install windows 7 from CD

dragneel2016

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Hi guys,
I'm trying to fix an old PC here and i had to change the motherboard. Long time ago i had windows vista which was corrupted and the PC sat idle for a long time and the motherboard went bad so after changing the mobo i decided to install Windows 7. I did everything such as setting DVD Drive as 1st boot device.

Now, the problem is that when i select boot from CD/DVD, it blinks for 2 secs and gives error "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. File: \windows\system32\winload.exe. Status: 0xc000000f.

I'm not trying to start the corrupted vista here but trying to install fresh windows 7. I tried to boot from Bootable usb drive but it gives me error file: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc000000e.

Sorry if i wrote too much. You guys are my only hope.

Motherboard is : HP dx2000 MT

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
USB support is probably lacking on a Vista-era setup.....but with a replacement mobo, maybe not.

The "recent hardware or software change" message appears that it is infact booting to the HDD. Have you formatted the drive to ensure there's nothing on there now? Shouldn't need to do that, but it sounds like it's causing the issue...

dragneel2016

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

The replacement mobo is a bit old too and the HDD is IDE. HDD and DVD Drive is on a single IDE cable and the HDD jumper set as master and DVD as Slave. Is this the correct jumper setting?.

How can i format the HDD without a windows interface?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's been a long time since I've dealt with IDE and Master/Slave setups in all honesty, but I believe the setting won't matter. The "master"in theory is a little faster, but I think it was proven that it makes absolutely zero difference in practice.

To format, you'd need to connect to another setup - or you can do it via Diskpart, but that would require being able to boot to that CD.

dragneel2016

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

Okay Barty1884, i will try to format the HDD and for that i think i'll be having a hard time finding a setup supporting IDE HDD's but i might be able to find one in the stores at work. I will try booting with another DVD Drive as well.

I will keep you updated. If you ever come across any solution please let me know.