Cannot Install Windows due to an MBR Partition Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

TactX21

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Hi, I have done my first build today (so I apologise if this is a stupid question :D) and all of the parts are new apart from the PSU and SSD (which I bought and put into my old desktop). When I try to install windows, using a USB, onto the SSD I get an error saying windows cannot be installed on that disk as it has an MBR partition table and it needs to be a GPT disk.
I don't mind deleting everything that's on the SSD as I have backed up the drives for my SSD and wireless adapter, and all the important documents. So is there a way to clean the SSD in the Windows setup and install Windows 10 on it after that with everything working fine?
Thank you for any help!

Solution
An older BIOS would have used the MBR style partitioning. Some UEFI software might refuse to write to the partition scheme of an MBR disk as a sort of safety measure (which annoys me). In such a case where other software is refusing to write over MBR with UEFI I use "dd" in Linux to first truly wipe the disk, including partition records. I wouldn't recommend doing this if not needed with an SSD (it does write to it and this causes wear), but if you get a Live DVD distribution of Linux, and if you know absolutely for certain there is only the one hard drive (disconnect the data cable on any other hard drive if present), then while in the Live DVD command prompt:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512

If you get "permission denied" you might...
You want to install Windows 10 on it - the new PC

You need to post specs. Legacy install on old PC uses MBR format. This is how to do UEFI install on new PC.

Most likely you need to start out with an empty drive, one with no format or partitions. On the first screen during installation, you can open an option to delete all existing partitions.

Windows 10 UEFI install

As it’s installed on any UEFI / GPT machine, Windows 10 can automatically partition the disk. In that case, Win10 creates 4 partitions: recovery, EFI, Microsoft Reserved (MSR) and Windows partitions. No user activity is needed. One simply selects the target disk, and clicks Next. Windows automatically partitions the disk (assuming it’s blank and contains a single block of unallocated space).

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup
https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-usb-drive-with-windows-10-setup/

Your BIOS may have options for UEFI. Can't tell because no specs listed.

An older BIOS would have used the MBR style partitioning. Some UEFI software might refuse to write to the partition scheme of an MBR disk as a sort of safety measure (which annoys me). In such a case where other software is refusing to write over MBR with UEFI I use "dd" in Linux to first truly wipe the disk, including partition records. I wouldn't recommend doing this if not needed with an SSD (it does write to it and this causes wear), but if you get a Live DVD distribution of Linux, and if you know absolutely for certain there is only the one hard drive (disconnect the data cable on any other hard drive if present), then while in the Live DVD command prompt:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512

If you get "permission denied" you might first run "sudo -s" to gain root access. After that Windows won't care about MBR.

Solution
Jun 17, 2019
You want to install Windows 10 on it - the new PC

You need to post specs. Legacy install on old PC uses MBR format. This is how to do UEFI install on new PC.

Most likely you need to start out with an empty drive, one with no format or partitions. On the first screen during installation, you can open an option to delete all existing partitions.

Windows 10 UEFI install

As it’s installed on any UEFI / GPT machine, Windows 10 can automatically partition the disk. In that case, Win10 creates 4 partitions: recovery, EFI, Microsoft Reserved (MSR) and Windows partitions. No user activity is needed. One simply selects the target disk, and clicks Next. Windows automatically partitions the disk (assuming it’s blank and contains a single block of unallocated space).

How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup

Your BIOS may have options for UEFI. Can't tell because no specs listed.
In simple words... if you are not afraid of losing any data... Just select delete

Status
Not open for further replies.