Question Cannot install windows on SSD (infinite loop, SSD not detected)

Nov 17, 2022
Hi,
I have run into an issue when installing windows, where the the system is not able to boot from the SSD. I found other threads that discuss this issue but so far no one was able to find a reliable solution. I will include links to these threads at the end of my post.

The issue:
I want to install windows 10 on my completely new system (everything fresh our of the box, except the SSD which I already used in my previous system).
At the beginning of the installation everything works without errors and I can install windows on my SSD from a USB drive. Then the installation clients restarts the PC to continue the installation, but instead of booting from the SSD, the PC boots again from the USB which will ask again to install windows (infinite loop).

The issue seems to be that the system is to able to boot from the SSD (which it should be able to at this stage of the installation).

Now I found out that there are slight variations of this problem. When you use UEFI on the bios in combination with GPT on the SSD, the SSD is recognized by the bios but does not appear in the boot list.

In contrast when using CSM on the bios and MBR on the SSD the SSD is listed in the boot list but the systems seems not to be able to actually boot from it.

Things I Have tried:
  • Bios Update
  • every possible boot order
  • change UEFI to legacy and back
  • reformat SSD both as MBR and as GPT
  • fresh widows installation USB
  • plugging the SSD to different ports
From the post from people with the same problems I have a suspicious: a lot of them, including me, seem to use an SSD that was previously used on another system. Additionally the only two people that found solutions to their problems seem to have some type of compatibility issues with the SSD files. Is it possible that after wiping the SSD there is still something left from previous uses and if yes any idea how to completly wipe the SSD?

Here are the posts I was talking about. I basically tried everything that is mentioned there:
Thank you for the help!

System:
  • MSI B550 -A Pro
  • Sandisk ultra 3d SSD sdssdh3-1T02 2.5''
  • AMD RX 5700
  • G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42
  • Corsair RMx Series 2021 RM750x 750W ATX 2.4

Last edited:
any idea how to completly wipe the SSD?
Diskpart clean.

diskpart-clean-vs-clean-all-3.png

Things I Have tried:
change UEFI to legacy and back​
You can't do this after windows is installed. Windows will boot only in mode, it has been installed.
reformat SSD both as MBR and as GPT​
How exactly are you doing that? Because MBR/GPT is not a formatting option. It is partitioning scheme, has to be set before creating partitions.

Nov 17, 2022
Please post your complete system

Try booting with minimum configuration
Motherboard, GPU, PSU, SSD, one RAM, Monitor, keyboard

try a different HDD/SSD

how did you reformat the SSD? during installation of windows or else?
I update my complete system.

I don't really have more in my system than that to begin with, but I will remove one RAM and see if that helps.

I used the command prompt and Diskpart. More specifically: clean and convert gpt/mbr. I did that before installing windows.

Nov 17, 2022
Diskpart clean.

diskpart-clean-vs-clean-all-3.png

Yes that's what I did. To my understanding for the SSD to function there will always remain some sort of instructions on the SSD that are not removed. I wonder if they got changed for some reason and if it possible to factory reset them. (But again I do not have a good understanding of this, so no idea if that actually makes any sense)

What I mean is: in my last system there was a SSD with Windows installed and the SSD I am using now, where I only installed some games that took up a lot of space. Maybe windows automatically marked this SSD as non-bootable to make sure that when restarting always the other SSD is used for booting windows. And maybe that causes the issues now. But I again this is only speculation.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022
You can't do this after windows is installed. Windows will boot only in mode, it has been installed.

How exactly are you doing that? Because MBR/GPT is not a formatting option. It is partitioning scheme, has to be set before creating partitions.

The details are as follows:
  • plug the USB (with Windows Installer on it) into the system
  • start the system and go into bios
  • set bios to UEFI/legacy
  • reboot and let the system boot from the USB
  • before doing anything else open the command prompt and clean and convert the SSD using Diskpart (GPT/MBR)
  • continue with installation including creating Partition as windows is suggesting
  • install windows and wait for the restart
  • problem: system will not boot from SSD

The details are as follows:
  • before doing anything else open the command prompt and clean and convert the SSD using Diskpart (GPT/MBR)
  • continue with installation including creating Partition as windows is suggesting
You do not have to create any partitions or do any formatting after diskpart clean.
Windows install process will do everything as necessary.

If you create partitions manually, it' s possible to create wrong partition configuration. You have to know, what you' re doing then.

Here's the tutorial. Follow it and you should be fine.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Last edited:
If you set up your bios to boot from the usb as the first boot device then the bios and windows as well will see the usb as the first available hard drive and will use that as the boot drive....

*mobos differ, some do this some don't

Set up the SSD as the first boot device and use the boot menu to boot from the usb the first time around.

Nov 17, 2022
You do not have to create any partitions or do any formatting after diskpart clean.
Windows install process will do everything as necessary.

If you create partitions manually, it' s possible to create wrong partition configuration. You have to know, what you' re doing then.

Here's the tutorial. Follow it and you should be fine.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
Did it exactly like they say in this tutorial (the difference is that no new partitions are created) but I gives me the same problem. Still doesn't boot from SSD.

Nov 17, 2022
If you set up your bios to boot from the usb as the first boot device then the bios and windows as well will see the usb as the first available hard drive and will use that as the boot drive....

*mobos differ, some do this some don't

Set up the SSD as the first boot device and use the boot menu to boot from the usb the first time around.

I tested basically every boot order already the issue seems to be that the SSD is not detected as bootable.

Last edited:
Did you install windows in legacy mode or in UEFI mode?
If you installed in UEFI mode, then you set first boot device to Windows Boot Manager.
Boot entry with storage device name is for legacy boot only (will not work in UEFI mode).

Can you boot from Windows install media in command prompt mode, execute following and show screenshot?
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
(upload screenshot to imgur.com and post link)

Also show a photo of boot priority settings from BIOS.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022
Did you install windows in legacy mode or in UEFI mode?
If you installed in UEFI mode, then you set first boot device to Windows Boot Manager.
Boot entry with storage device name is for legacy boot only (will not work in UEFI mode).

Can you boot from Windows install media in command prompt mode, execute following and show screenshot?
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
(upload screenshot to imgur.com and post link)

Also show a photo of boot priority settings from BIOS.
I tried both legacy and UEFI.
That's the thing: the SSD is detected (i.e. name is shown under storage devices but there is nothing named "windows boot manager". Neither in the boot list nor anywhere else.

Here is the result (had issues with imgur, hope this works):
https://ibb.co/Y2GjYHg

Nov 17, 2022
Update:
I now bought another SSD and everything works perfectly.
Interestingly the SSD that did not work for windows install works perfectly as a secondary SSD in my system to install games on.

Nov 17, 2022
disk 1 is the removable USB flash drive, disk 2 should have been cleaned in this example
Well I mean, I did clean my 1TB SSD and not my 30 gb USB drive...

For anyone having the same problem: My best guess is that there something on the SSD that marks it as a non-bootable device (or something like that) that is not deleted by a disk clean. Neither me nor any of the other people that had the same problem could find a proper solution to this, so your best bet is to buy a new SSD and not waste too much time on it.