Cannot Load Some Websites and General Internet Issues.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I just moved to a new state and got a new ISP. I hooked up my laptop to the wifi with no issues, but when I hooked up my desktop via ethernet cable I was immediately having issues. I am paying for 300mbps, speedtest.net says I get around 200mbps, but it feels like a lot less because it is just slow feeling. Also, I simply cannot load certain websites on my desktop, such as Yahoo.com. Then there are others that just take ages to load, like Facebook.com, Xbox.com, and Netflix.com. These sites work perfectly fine on my laptop and my phone, so I am really unsure how to fix this. I already cleared my cache and cookies, tried different browsers, restarted the router, but no luck so far. When it finally stops trying to load I normally get "this webpage is not available err_connection_closed". It could be a network card issue, but I don't know. It is built in to my motherboard which is a asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. Anyone have any ideas?

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Well I have Time Warner so they gave me an all in one box, router and modem. I have tried other ports on the box though.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

No, I have never had to do that before. Is that just in my router settings for TWC? What should I change them to?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

So I tried that with several different DNS servers, but still cannot load those sites.

cadams77

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Just found the solution. With my motherboard there have been reported problems with the XFastLan program. I installed it the other day because I thought it was an updated driver as my ethernet port was acting up. Turns out that caused this major issue. I uninstalled it and it all works now!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
glad to hear it.

that is a traffic shaping program.
from wikipedia:
"Traffic shaping (also known as "packet shaping") is a computer network traffic management technique which delays some or all datagrams to bring them into compliance with a desired traffic profile.[1][2] Traffic shaping is used to optimize or guarantee performance, improve latency, and/or increase usable bandwidth for some kinds of packets by delaying other kinds. It is often confused with traffic policing, the distinct but related practice of packet dropping and packet marking."
it was probably set to game mode or something delaying till timeout/dropping all but whitelisted (gaming) packets.