Question cannot load windows or Linux OS on gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h from any type of bootable device

Jan 1, 2020
I've been trying to build a PC for the first time and I've breadboarded it down to the psu, motherboard, ram, cpu, ssd, keyboard, and monitor. I cannot get a windows install to run on it. It recognizes USB drives, DVD-roms, and the SSD, but I've tried to install windows 7 and windows 10 from both kinds of devices only for it to fail when the windows logo appears. The numlock light goes out on my keyboard everytime too. The discs and fans continue to spin when this happens. I've tried changing all of the settings in the BIOS I can think of and research, but nothing changes besides maybe not getting to even the windows logo. Is this motherboard too old to recognize a SSD? It seems optimized for Windows 8.

Dec 31, 2019
I've been trying to build a PC for the first time and I've breadboarded it down to the psu, motherboard, ram, cpu, ssd, keyboard, and monitor. I cannot get a windows install to run on it. It recognizes USB drives, DVD-roms, and the SSD, but I've tried to install windows 7 and windows 10 from both kinds of devices only for it to fail when the windows logo appears. The numlock light goes out on my keyboard everytime too. The discs and fans continue to spin when this happens. I've tried changing all of the settings in the BIOS I can think of and research, but nothing changes besides maybe not getting to even the windows logo. Is this motherboard too old to recognize a SSD? It seems optimized for Windows 8.
What are your specs?

Jan 1, 2020
Ok I figured out that was for the wrong motherboard. I've successfully updated the BIOS but the installation for Windows still crashes at the same time.

Jan 1, 2020
I've restored factory defaults. The most I get is a brief buffering symbol underneath the windows 10 logo. Window 7 fairs no better. I have about 4 cracked discs off of bit torrent. They've been successfully able to install an OS on other systems. I also have been trying to use a thumb drive with windows 10 on it I made from the .iso I have and Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
How exactly did you get the ISO on the thumb drive and what was the source of the ISO?

Do note that we can't help you with any part that uses pirated/cracked software. If this is all pirated/cracked software, this thread will need to be closed.

Jan 1, 2020
I've now tried to load a USB of Kali Linux. I can get to the opening screen, but I can't run the Live USB version of it nor can I open the installer.

TRENDING THREADS