Question Cannot log in to laptop after 21h1 update, user accounts all messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I got this hp laptop around a year ago from my boss, it had a dead HDD so I fitted an SSD and reinstalled win10, all was well, clean install and made a user account for my partner (it's hers) with just a 4 digit PIN.

I ran the upgrade assistant tonight and it installed 21h1, and now the login screen shows other user, and only allows either a Microsoft account email and password, or a local user account username and password, neither of which this machine has ever been set up with, ever it was always only ever a pin, although incidentally, even if I input the correct Ms login and password that is linked to the email account used on the laptop, it says the password is incorrect, it is not.

Any help people? Or should I just format and start all over again?

Thanks in advance :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all, I got this hp laptop around a year ago from my boss, it had a dead HDD so I fitted an SSD and reinstalled win10, all was well, clean install and made a user account for my partner (it's hers) with just a 4 digit PIN.

I ran the upgrade assistant tonight and it installed 21h1, and now the login screen shows other user, and only allows either a Microsoft account email and password, or a local user account username and password, neither of which this machine has ever been set up with, ever it was always only ever a pin, although incidentally, even if I input the correct Ms login and password that is linked to the email account used on the laptop, it says the password is incorrect, it is not.

Any help people? Or should I just format and start all over again?

Thanks in advance :)
Were not allowed to help with password issues.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
No no, it isn't a password issue though, as I said, this has been a fully functioning laptop for almost a year, which I clean installed and set up with a pin login, but after the update it's asking for login credentials that do not exist for this machine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No no, it isn't a password issue though, as I said, this has been a fully functioning laptop for almost a year, which I clean installed and set up with a pin login, but after the update it's asking for login credentials that do not exist for this machine.
That is great and all but were not allowed to help because we have no way of verifying your the owner.

EDIT you might ask your boss what his login was and see if it works,

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
That is great and all but were not allowed to help because we have no way of verifying your the owner.

He hasn't asked us how to get around an account. He's asking how to deal with the problem. We could say that he could contact Microsoft, or reset the computer (which he already stated he knew about), or anything else that wasn't password circumventive.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Sigh I'm not asking for a hack or a workaround am I, im simply enquiring as to whether anybody else has had this happen to them, and if there's a resolution to get it back to how it's always been, if I have to I'll just reinstall again, I was just hoping I wouldn't need to, as something in the update has obviously broken it, I watched the England v Scotland euro match on it up until around two and a half hours ago, then ran the update, then it broke.

bignastyid

Titan
Possible the user account was corrupted with a botched update, have yet to hear of it happen to any other though. But. unfortunately even if that is the case we can't provide further assistance since the fix/workaround would violate forum rules. Thread closed

Reactions: Ralston18
Status
Not open for further replies.