Cannot Log Into Ubuntu Linux - Please help!

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I am not able to login traditionally into my Ubuntu Linux, because the hard drive is full. How do I login into the command line, so that I can delete some files and free up some disk space?

When I attempt to log in, it bounces me back to the login screen.

linux_0

Splendid
ALT + CTRL + F1

login with your username and password

[code:1:0a0b1d54a1]
sudo su -

df -h

cd /

du -s * |sort -n |less

[/code:1:0a0b1d54a1]

Find and remove the files that are using up all your space and you should be able to log in again.

GL :-D

I am not able to login traditionally into my Ubuntu Linux, because the hard drive is full. How do I login into the command line, so that I can delete some files and free up some disk space?

When I attempt to log in, it bounces me back to the login screen.

linux_0

Splendid
:lol:

That's easy stuff :D

This isn't :wink:

[code:1:30abb12512]
@P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2)+=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print
[/code:1:30abb12512]

No I did not write this nor do I know it by heart but I've written some code that is almost as bad :lol:

how the hell do you know all that!!!

you wait till the book i ordered gets here...
ILL LEARN IT BY HEART!!!

Would there be any much difference in execution speed? Is there any justification for single line monsters? I'll allow them for personal use perhaps..

** has flashbacks to days working in QA/Test **

linux_0

Splendid
Well that would depend on the optimizer if the language uses one.

There are ways to hand-optimize code, but writing code like that is often done for other reasons. Performance is not usually a factor, although sometimes it helps.

:-D

Would there be any much difference in execution speed? Is there any justification for single line monsters? I'll allow them for personal use perhaps..

** has flashbacks to days working in QA/Test **

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Especially considering that perl is an interpreted language (meaning you don't create a self-runnable executable binary when you're done), it is difficult at best to optimize the stuff by arranging code in a specific way and rather it's just an exercise in using efficient calls and reusing results that garner the best improvements. Large, hard-to-read single lines are done usually for that purpose: to make it more obfuscated. It may also be done as a personal preference I suppose.

Also, as a C programmer, I feel it necessary to again denounce the evil that is perl. If I don't they take away my System Programmer card :)

linux_0

Splendid
Again I agree :-D

But I must defend Perl and interpreted languages in general. There are many tasks they do very well. Perl, PHP and other languages can be great tools, it is up to the programmer to write proper code.

Naturally both Perl and PHP are written in C :-D

Especially considering that perl is an interpreted language (meaning you don't create a self-runnable executable binary when you're done), it is difficult at best to optimize the stuff by arranging code in a specific way and rather it's just an exercise in using efficient calls and reusing results that garner the best improvements. Large, hard-to-read single lines are done usually for that purpose: to make it more obfuscated. It may also be done as a personal preference I suppose.

Also, as a C programmer, I feel it necessary to again denounce the evil that is perl. If I don't they take away my System Programmer card :)

lol.. I still remember all the good things Pascal used to force me to do when I did a bit of coding at Uni. :wink:

To my mind though truly optimised code would involve timing diagrams and a hex editor. Otherwise you are limited by the compiler / interpretation. At my level of skill at any language I played with I settled for including my flags at compile time...

linux_0

Splendid
:-D

Under normal circumstances a well written compiler should optimize a lot better than most human beings can.

In rare situations a true master of assembly language may be able to do a bit better, however few people know assembly these days and even fewer know how to write perfectly optimized assembly code.

I'm sure bmouring knows C and assembly a lot better than I do :-D

Maybe he can comment further.

lol.. I still remember all the good things Pascal used to force me to do when I did a bit of coding at Uni. :wink:

To my mind though truly optimised code would involve timing diagrams and a hex editor. Otherwise you are limited by the compiler / interpretation. At my level of skill at any language I played with I settled for including my flags at compile time...

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Under normal circumstances a well written compiler should optimize a lot better than most human beings can.

In many, many cases this is the absolute truth, however there are those specialized situations (usually a tight mathematical algo) that can be done best in assembly, hence the inline assembly capabilities of most compile-able languages.

Also, linux_0, you know my jabs at perl are all in good fun. :) I fully appreciate what perl can do and have even written a few system maintenance apps in it. It's just not usually my cup of tea.

linux_0

Splendid
@ bmouring I figured it was a friendly jab but sometimes after you've been up a few days straight you can't pick up on that :-D

Indeed, algorithms are in fact quite tricky, someone with a mastery or algorithms and mathematics could probably do a better job than the compiler could.

Of course some compilers optimize better than others and some compilers are known to de-optimize for certain architectures.

In many, many cases this is the absolute truth, however there are those specialized situations (usually a tight mathematical algo) that can be done best in assembly, hence the inline assembly capabilities of most compile-able languages.

Also, linux_0, you know my jabs at perl are all in good fun. :) I fully appreciate what perl can do and have even written a few system maintenance apps in it. It's just not usually my cup of tea.

balajimdu

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. I installed tamil language pack in it and rebooted the system. But now it is not logging into the ubuntu. It just accepts the password and comes back to the login screen. My harddisk usage is just 12%. Could you please help me in this regard ?

Regards,
Balaji