cannot login to windows with pass but can with pin, change does nothing

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
i just reinstalled windows 10 64 bit and i'm trying to boot into safe mode....but cannot because it asks me for my password.....when i enter my pass it says it's incorrect

if i click restart and windows asks me to login with my pin, i can enter it and login with no problem

have changed the password to windows a couple times and that does not help either.

what is the problem?

how do i fix

Solution
Check if you keyboard layout has changed and it is typing something else.
Open Notepad and type your password and see if it is typing the correct credentials.

Is that a local account or Microsoft account?

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
hi jojesa,

it is a microsoft account....not sure what a local account is.

During Windows setup you have a choice of a Microsoft account or a local account.
A Microsoft account is used to login to Microsoft websites, services, operating systems and properties
A local account (offline account) is used to log into Windows operating systems and the system's resources without been connected to Microsoft.

If you are using a Microsoft account then you should be using the password for that account to log into your computer.
If you do not remember that password then you could go to Microsoft website and reset your password -> here

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
that's the problem though....i am using the password to my microsoft account to try to login and it says wrong password......if i goto microsoft on chrome and sign in to my account...it logs me in no problem, says it's the administrator account, shows the same profile picture (the pic i just created and added to my profile account) as the one that pops up when i try to log in at startup of the laptop but it does not take my password.