Using Win XP Home SP2.

Recently I restarted my computer (after having completed a defrag) and when
the Welcome screen came up along with my user account it said "Loading user
profile.... and then came up with "Saving settings.... and nothing else
happened. This has happened on every attempt to restart I have tried since
then.
How do I repair this problem, please?

Hi Bert,

This may help: