[SOLVED] Cannot OC to 3200 after upgrading to 4 modules

CapaCapaSS

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hello there :)

Recently decided to upgrade from 2x8 G.Skill Trident F4-3200C16-8GTZR to 2 more thus 4x8. I used to run the two modules with AXMP profile turned on at 3200MHz without any issue.

Some specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MB: MSI 450 Tomahawk max
4XDIMMS: G.Skill Trident F4-3200C16-8GTZR

ISSUE: So it seems that trying to run the same AXMP profile with the 4 modules installed fails. It is activated without any issue via BIOS but on reboot, frequency is set back to 1866MHz which I believe is due to a safe setting on BIOS (not sure how it is called atm) in case OC fails.

At first I thought it could be an issue with the new modules so I tested them both on the correct position that MB indicates (2 and 4 as I used to have the older modules) separately. The result is that both new and old modules work fine OC'ed at 3200MHz when only 2 DIMMS are used.

With manually configuring it via BIOS I got up to 2800MHz without using the AXMP profile. After that frequency is reset to said 1866MHz so I beleive OC fails. I would not like to manually OC them as I am inexperienced. However, do you have any idea why the same AXMP profile running at 16CL and 3200Hz is not working with 4 modules installed but only with two?

Thank you for every answer, it is highly appreciated.

Solution
With manually configuring it via BIOS I got up to 2800MHz without using the AXMP profile

You set EVERY value manually ( including voltages, any subtimings etc.) ?

If not, you MUST use default settings without XMP or you MUST use XMP.
The values for subtimings, voltages etc. are written into SPD and are used, when XMP is activated. But you don't need to use XMP, if you make EVERY setting manually.

I suppose, your DRAM-voltage should be 1.35 volt? Setting SOC-voltage to 1.1 might help ,too.

But for 2700x 3200 Mhz is already a very good setting. Could be, that you MUST stay below 3000 Mhz, at least with 4 Ram-sticks.

Starting with Zen2 ( 3xxx-CPUs) ram-controller was improved to reach 3600 Mhz ( on few CPUs even 3800 Mhz), but...

alexbirdie

Respectable
With manually configuring it via BIOS I got up to 2800MHz without using the AXMP profile

You set EVERY value manually ( including voltages, any subtimings etc.) ?

If not, you MUST use default settings without XMP or you MUST use XMP.
The values for subtimings, voltages etc. are written into SPD and are used, when XMP is activated. But you don't need to use XMP, if you make EVERY setting manually.

I suppose, your DRAM-voltage should be 1.35 volt? Setting SOC-voltage to 1.1 might help ,too.

But for 2700x 3200 Mhz is already a very good setting. Could be, that you MUST stay below 3000 Mhz, at least with 4 Ram-sticks.

Starting with Zen2 ( 3xxx-CPUs) ram-controller was improved to reach 3600 Mhz ( on few CPUs even 3800 Mhz), but not with 4 ram-sticks.

Therefore I for myself would never use 4 sticks, but buy 2 new sticks ( for example instead of 4x8 GB 2x16 GB).

Last edited:
Solution