Cannot open discs CD-ROM drive

Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I unabale to read any files on my cd-rom drive. I replaced the CD-Rom drive with an exact duplicate Toshiba XM-6302B. I have double checked the wiring connections and tried the jumper in both master and slave positions. I have also deleted the drive and let windows detect it and install the drivers. Windows advises the device is working properly and it is not reported as a problem device although I do have the PCI Multimedia device marked as a problem device. Is there a connection between the two of them that is causing my problem? I have formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 98 from a disc without a problem. Any help will be appreciated before I go around the bend!

Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Yes, the icon for Drive (E) is listed in My computer. Properties list it as CD-ROM Disc file tem FAT. (this info with no disc in drive) --with a disc installed properties says "Label CD Type CD-ROM Disc File system CDFS and advises used space 736,952,320 bytes. If I double click on the icon I get a "Find:All Files screen. If I right click the icon I get CD(E) screen with the icon E:/ in the address bar but nothing else to show what is on the disc.