Cannot open Windows Apps

Snowghost11

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Last night I had a failure (Windows 8.1), I had Opera and a folder open when I put my PC to sleep. But it took suspiciously long and seemed to shutdown instead of sleeping. When I turned it back on, Opera was closed, but the folder was still opened. Turns out some temp files were damaged, I lost my Opera settings and bookmarks, also Winamp was reset. Chkdsk fixed a lot of stuff.

The problem now - when I open the File Explorer and change (move or resize), then close and open again, the window is always reset in the center of the screen.
The bigger problem - I cannot open Windows apps, including Settings and AppStore. The icon appears in the botton panel, but the only thing I can do is close it.

I tried:

• MalwareBytes - nothing found (I also have Eset running)
    sfc /scannow - no problems found
    regedit - one of the folder was not allowed for "all application packages", fixing did not help
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps - in security, there is no all application packages, there is this (not sure how it is supposed to look)

• TrustedInstaller
      System
      System
      Adminstrators
      Local Service
      Local Service
      Network Service
      Network Service
    Windows App Troubleshooter - error 0x80070002 (lower says "limited permissions")
    command prompt powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml - big red error 0x80073CFE

Try this

a. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

b. Type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
· DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
· DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

c. Close the command prompt, and then check if you can install, run the apps.

Looks like this was a prob with 8.1 . It may have been an update. that caused it. KB2919355

decentgamer

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Is User account control on?
Or try this:
Open Local Security Policy or run secpol.msc
Click on Local Policies > Security Options
Scroll down and you will see User Account control: run all administrators in admin approval mode.
Enable it.

Hope this helps! :)

Snowghost11

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Than you for your reply! The results are here:
Scanhealth:
The component store is repairable.
The operation completed successfuly.

Restorehealth:
Error: 0x80240021
DISM failed. No operation was performed.
For more information, review the log file.

It already was enabled.

I have to leave now, when I'm back I might try a repair from a USB drive, I happen to have one with recovery media ready. I also failed to mention that I haven't updated Windows in about three months. Also had some problems, PC dies during some games, looks like CPU overheating, might be the cause of this corruption.

Snowghost11

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

StartComponentCleanup was succesful, RestoreHealth failed with the same error.
I can't even run an installation from USB to repair.