Question Cannot ping any device connected to the ARRIS XFINITY modem/router / ZOSI / Blue Iris SW ?

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
I currently have the router/modem (cable) connected on the ports like this:

ISP cable --------------ARRIS--------------------ZOSI DVR
______________________________|______________________
|___________________ 8 cameras (IP 168.192.138.xxx)
______________________________|
______________________________ --------------------Windows PC

I downloaded Blue Iris to see if I could get that working with the camera setup for notifications after finding out that ZOSI DVR was not compatible with gmail etc for OAUTH. In any event, I can ping the router/modem (admin) but I cannot ping the DVR or individual camera IP addresses. Should I connect this differently? Thanks.

On a side note, the camera software on the Win PC that originally came with the DVR is somehow able to connect. I can get on the PC, open the software, and see all 8 cameras. Not sure how the SW us accessing the camera IPs. Yet, when trying to use Blue Iris software it cannot see the camera IP and I cant ping them in Win.

Last edited:
1) Make sure you are entering the correct username/pass when setting up the IP camera for the first time in Blue Iris. This can stop it from being seen completely.
2) Make sure both the ARRIS and Windows is set to allow connections from the IP cameras and the DVR respectively or you won't be able to see them.

Ralston18

Titan
How are eight cameras being connected to the ZOSI DVR? Coax - correct?

Which model ZOSI DVR?

Which model Arris modem/router?

From your Windows PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

You should be able to copy the results and paste the results herein.

The objective being to obtain the IP address of the ARRIS modem/router.

What IP addresses where assigned to eight cameras?

More information needed.

My thought being that the ZOSI DVR's IP address is not configured for the ARRIS router.

FYI:

https://supports.zositech.com/hc/en...E-NVR#:~:text=In default status, NVR will,138.

Key is to get one camera working correctly and then use that information as a basis to configure the remaining cameras.

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
1) Make sure you are entering the correct username/pass when setting up the IP camera for the first time in Blue Iris. This can stop it from being seen completely.
2) Make sure both the ARRIS and Windows is set to allow connections from the IP cameras and the DVR respectively or you won't be able to see them.
Since I am new to Blue Iris can you help me set this up or show me the correct directions? I currently am running the ZOSI DVR and like the recording it offers. The only reason I got Blue Iris was to allow me to be able to take motion stills and text or email those to me. Is it possible to have both running at the same time? Thank you for any assistance.

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
How are eight cameras being connected to the ZOSI DVR? Coax - correct?

Which model ZOSI DVR?

Which model Arris modem/router?

From your Windows PC run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

You should be able to copy the results and paste the results herein.

The objective being to obtain the IP address of the ARRIS modem/router.

What IP addresses where assigned to eight cameras?

More information needed.

My thought being that the ZOSI DVR's IP address is not configured for the ARRIS router.

FYI:

https://supports.zositech.com/hc/en-us/articles/360060657852-Add-Zosi-IP-Cameras-to-Zosi-PoE-NVR#:~:text=In default status, NVR will,138.

Key is to get one camera working correctly and then use that information as a basis to configure the remaining cameras.

I can get additional info later but for now...

1. The ARRIS router/modem is connected via coax from the provider
2. The DVR is POE and the cameras are all connected to the DVR. The DVR is connected to the ARRIS router/modem
3. The PC is connected to the ARRIS router/modem
4. The DVR IP is 192.168.138.054
5. The Camera IPs are 192.168.138.100 - 108
3. DVR model is 8HN-2615W8-20-US
4. ARRIS model Arris SURFboard SVG2482-AC

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
"ipconfig /all" results?

Doublecheck all subnet masks.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\XXXXXXXXt>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXXX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXXXXXXX

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXXXXXXXX
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Con
troller (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-BF-48-D5-0A-CD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:500:8980:2::421e(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 19, 2023 12:54:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 30, 2023 12:54:55 AM
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:500:8980:2:d00d:2e83:833:6683(Prefer
red)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2601:500:8980:2:f402:56c6:ddaa:7d86(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d00d:2e83:833:6683%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.45(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 19, 2023 12:54:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 29, 2159 11:11:24 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::4a4e:fcff:fe7d:ca37%11
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 235978568
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-D8-A6-38-10-BF-48-D5-0A-CD

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXX>

That is very interesting.

Where does the DVR and the cameras get their IP addresses. Do the cameras physically connect to the DVR like you have drawn or is that just a logical representation.

Your problem is your router is using

192.168.0.x network and your other equipment is using 192.168.138.x network.

For these to communicate they really should be on the same subnet. Can you change the ip on the dvr and cameras to 192.168.0.x IP addresses.

Security cameras systems are a pain many times because they try to force you to use all their equipment. Blue iris is a great software but there are many camera systems that intentionally are designed to only work with their own controllers and software. Kinda why a lot of the really cheap cameras only seem cheap until you add in the cost of their DVR unit that is over priced to make up for the cheap camera price.

Reactions: Ralston18

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
It connects as I have shown. The DVR assigns the IP addresses to the cameras. Here is a post from another board. I dont really understand what they mean technically, and I have not heard back, maybe someone can chime in from here? Apparently they got Blue Iris to work... not sure if I need to redo the router config or if how it connects should be fine...

Looks like a mess.
It depends on how the dvr gives the cameras IP. If it is using DHCP then you run the risk that the DVR attempts to assign IP to devices other than cameras. You are always better off manually setting the IP on a camera.
It is all going to really depend on if the camera can run without the DVR box, the blueiris does the same function.

Your best bet is to try to change the camera addresses so they can run on your current network. I only read a tiny bit of that link and it appears they are using what is called a secondary IP address on the blueiris to make it work with the cameras on the wrong IP addresses. That really is a hack way to do it and it can cause trouble, the DHCP server is one example but anything else that uses broadcast messages can cause issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Two Default Gateways - problematic indeed.....

Plus with IPv6 enabled there may be parallel problems to those that now exist with IPv4.

Simplify it all by disabling IPv6.

As suggested, try to change the camera IP addresses to run on the current network.

Focus on getting one camera working with an assigned static IP address starting with (as suggested) 192.168.0.X

The DVR possibly to be 192.168.0.10 and static as a starting point....

Then , for example: 192.168.0.11 for Camera 1.

Once sucessful, then use the next sequential IP address 192.168.0.12 for Camera 2.
192.168.0.13 for Camera 3.

So on and so forth. Remember that you should not duplicate any IP addresses.

There may be other suggestions regarding the Static IP range to use. Especially if I have made some error of omission or commission.

= = = =

Number the cameras 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Then make a list showing the Camera's number, the camera's serial number, and its' MAC. The latter two likely on the camera name/label plate.

The list will likely come in handy as you set up the Static IP addresses.

Sketch and plan it all out beforehand.

You already have a good start with the initial line diagram in Post 1. Just expand the sketch to show all devices, cameras, connections (ports, cables), device IP addresses and MACs.

Use 192.168.0.X for the network device IPs. Not 192.168.138.X

Once the first and second cameras are up and running you should then have a pattern and process that will make the remaining cameras easy to setup and configure.

You may, for example, first need to directly connect any given camera in order to configure the camera. Possibly including other required settings such as camera login, password, grouping, etc....

Keep notes and if a problem occurs then resolve that problem before proceeding.