Cannot ping or open websites on any device .NOT DNS issue.

aim120

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I got a strange issue where i can ping my tier 3 ISP server ,the one which is doing the DHCP for its customers,i can ping 8.8.8.8

But when I ping google.com or yahoo.com or any website ,it doesn't ping.It shows request time out.

Do note this is not a DNS issue since the device or computer knows the IP address.I can't even open my ISP internal login account page on any device.

A tracert shows that the packet cannot reach my ISP server this again happens only for websites even if its able to resolve the IP address.Again its not a DNS issue.

But if i do a tracert for 8.8.8.8 or to the IP address of my ISP main leased line from a Tier 2 or tier 1 ISP it pings and trace shows it can reach the destination.

Once again this happens on every device connected to my router.

MY iSP has PPPOE connection with a static public IP address and that public IP address is address of my ISP server which in turn does DHCP for about 1000 customers.

Solution
If you tracert to these sites that do not ping I am assuming you see at least 3 or more hops. This likely means your ISP has connectivity issue with his other upstream ISP. Things like 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 are servers placing in the major peering centers. The same ip is duplicated in many places so it is not one particular location. All this means is you can get to that peering center.

Pretty much you run tracert for a bunch of site and see what the ip of the last router you can see is and tell your ISP to fix it. There really is nothing wrong with your equipment. Now if the ip of the last router is YOUR router then you have a different issue.
If you tracert to these sites that do not ping I am assuming you see at least 3 or more hops. This likely means your ISP has connectivity issue with his other upstream ISP. Things like 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 are servers placing in the major peering centers. The same ip is duplicated in many places so it is not one particular location. All this means is you can get to that peering center.

Pretty much you run tracert for a bunch of site and see what the ip of the last router you can see is and tell your ISP to fix it. There really is nothing wrong with your equipment. Now if the ip of the last router is YOUR router then you have a different issue.

Solution