Question Cannot power on the PC after removing the USB device ?

May 31, 2023
I have this situation where after I have logged in to the Windows 10 and I plugged in a USB device and removed it after a few seconds. Then I did hard shut down by pressing the power switch. After the shut down, I press the power switch to turn on the PC but there isn't any power and it seems like dead.

I then removed the motherboard battery and removed the power cable and waited for about 40 seconds and put back the power cable and press the power switch and it started up the PC. I didn't put back the battery.

And after I logged in to the Windows 10 and plugged in the USB and removed it after a few seconds. I then redo the hard shut down by pressing the power switch. After the shutdown, I tried power on again, but there isn't any power.

I then removed the power cable and waited for about 40 seconds and plugged in the power cable and press on the power switch and it did power up.

I repeated the whole process a few times using different USB port and the same things happened.

I did try after logged into Windows 10 but this time without plugging any USB and did a hard shut down and was able power up after that.

What am I missing here? Thanks

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That behavior sounds like protection from a power surge.

What are the full specs of this system, including *exact* power supply? The first step to solving a mystery isn't wandering into it blindfolded.

And why are you suddenly plugging and unplugging USB devices?

May 31, 2023
I'm using a Chinese X79 motherboard dual xeon cpu. Power supply is a 750watt gold.

The reason I suddenly plugged and unplugged USB device was an accidental. It just like after you plugged in the USB to check the files in it and then just unplugged when is done. And that was how I discovered the USB issues. So I went on to try several times to confirm it. Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm using a Chinese X79 motherboard dual xeon cpu. Power supply is a 750watt gold.

The reason I suddenly plugged and unplugged USB device was an accidental. It just like after you plugged in the USB to check the files in it and then just unplugged when is done. And that was how I discovered the USB issues. So I went on to try several times to confirm it. Thanks

Again, can you list the full specs including *exact* power supply?

May 31, 2023
Again, can you list the full specs including *exact* power supply?
Chinese Motherboard
Item Type: X79 Dual CPU Motherboard
Mainboard Type: ATX
Main Chip: X79 series
Graphics Card Slot: PCI-E 3.0 16X dual interface
Expansion Slot: 7+7 power supply
Ethernet: Gigabit
CPU Slot: 7.1 channel
CPU Type: LGA2011x2
Memory Slot: DDR3 4 slot 4 channel
Memory Capacity Peak: 32Gx4 DDR3
Memory Speed: 1866/1600/1333/1066
SATA Interface: SATA3.0x2 SATA2.0x4
USB Interface: USB3.0x2 USB2.0x12(including expansion)
M.2 Interface: PCIE X4 3.0 NVME
Material: PCB Board
Size: 281x255mm/11.06x10.03in
Color: Black
Quantity: 1 Pc

CPU
2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 v2

PSU
SilverStone 750W ET750-HG: 80 Plus Gold

Ram
4 x Samsung 16gb ram ddr3 PC3L 10600R 1333mhz ecc reg

GPU
NVIDIA Quadro M2000 4 GB

SSD
Lexar NS100 256GB 2.5” SATA III Internal SSD

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
OK, decent specs though the Chinese motherboard is going to be of uncertain providence.

Have you seen this behavior doing anything else? I would suspect that the motherboard is detecting very quick changes on the +5V rail. It's hard to say exactly with documentation for the motherboard likely being very unhelpful.