Cannot print because printer is offline. Cannot deselect "User Printer Offline"

helphim

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
My print job is displayed in the "See What's Printing" window, but within the "Printer" selection of its menu bar, there is no "Use Printer Offline" option that I can deselect.

[Moderator addendum: OS = Windows 7]

Solution
Your only option is to go to the printer and wake it from sleep mode. I recommend that you read the manual for your printer on how to do that.

helphim

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
basroil, Thank you for your answer - I don't have a manual, but you motivated me to search on how to wake up an HP 2050 series. Found some other printer models with similar problems - but then noticed that the tech, who had recently worked on this two-computer setup, had plugged the printer's USB cable into the wrong computer. The printer should be connected to computer 'A' since the printer is shared out from that computer. Instead it was connected to computer 'B'. Both computers could 'see' the printer but couldn't print to it. I transferred the printer's connection to computer 'B' and the problem is solved. Thank you.

Actually, installed printers can always be printed to even if they aren't connected, so that was all that was happening. It's kind of like a reverse answering machine, rather than leaving a message there you keep one on your side until the recipient can grab it.

You might want to look into attaching your printer to your router if the router supports network print. That will allow all devices on your network to access the printer. It's a bit annoying to set up (though instructions will be in the manual for the router if it supports that), but well worth it. You'll certainly never have that issue again (though printer going to sleep might happen)

helphim

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I have been meaning to contact the IT dept. support desk for that very thing - putting the printer on the network, but when they are here and I mention it, they don't seem real enthusiastic about doing it. I don't know why, but maybe it is just as annoying to set up on the network as it would be setting it up with a router!

The reason they aren't too happy is that the instructions are in the router's manual if it's even possible