Cannot print from vista laptop to Win7 printer

Richard Goodman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have a Dell GX620 with Windows 7 and a wired Canon Pixma iP4300 printer.
I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop on the same Homegroup, but cannot print from the laptop. I have set everything up as suggested and can `see` the printer on the laptop, but it will not print! Help!!!!! Dick.Goodman.

Richard Goodman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Thanks for your prompt reply and I have the latest Canon drivers installed on the Win 7 PC. I am told to install `additional` drivers on the laptop, but these do not load and, when I download the Canon driver, I cannot `browse` to it, even if I give the exact location. File and printer sharing is enabled, as instructed.
I am asked, sometimes, for a `user name` and `password` and have inserted every name and password I know, to no avail. Is it my user name for the computer, or my logon name for my ISP?

Richard Goodman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

If I don`t use Homegroup, how do I set up a network? (I`ll go back to basics on the PC and try a network without it!)

Watch this space!!!!!

Richard Goodman

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have tried to reply several times, but nothing seems to get through!
Thank you all for your help. Removed PC from Homegroup and re-installed the printer details on the laptop. Wizard then installed a driver on auto! All is now well so thank, again, to everyone...Dick Goodman.