Question Cannot (re) connect one client PC (4 others remain connected OK) to Windows Home Server 2011

AlienPsyTing

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
i had a problem where in the backups section of the WHS 2011 Dashboard a PC was showing offline

So I removed it and then tried reconnecting it but when I do I get the following message this is when I use FIND MY SERVER

Server Error in '/Connect' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

I'm not too hopeful but any suggestions would be welcome

Many thanks

Mark

I was devoted user of both WHS v1 and v2011, until arrival of Windows 7, 8, 10. Microsoft stopped supporting them, installing the connector became tricky, and every update broke it, so I just gave up. For a while used WSE 2016 (mainly for backup part), before dropping "E" part completely, and started using third-party backup solution.

So - just move on. If the client computer is Windows Pro, try adding it first to the domain, before installing the connector.

AlienPsyTing

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
I was devoted user of both WHS v1 and v2011, until arrival of Windows 7, 8, 10. Microsoft stopped supporting them, installing the connector became tricky, and every update broke it, so I just gave up. For a while used WSE 2016 (mainly for backup part), before dropping "E" part completely, and started using third-party backup solution.

So - just move on. If the client computer is Windows Pro, try adding it first to the domain, before installing the connector.

No domain to connect to - the WHS is only used to do client backups as it's pretty good at it. I've looked around at other forums for this error and nothing seems to be able to fix it apart from a re-install sadly but thank you for you post ;)