Question Cannot re-install Windows because keyboard isn't powered during boot

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I want to re-install Windows 10. I made a USB installation key.
I'm supposed to press F11 to enter boot menu or F2/Del to enter BIOS/UEFI.
But none of these keys work.

I read some explanations the say that when you have "Ultra Fast Boost" or something like that, you can skip it by going to
Start > Update & Security >Recovery > Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings > Restart.

But that option "UEFI Firmware settings" does not exist on my system, got something else instead.
I tried "Startup Settings" instead.
And then I think I understeed why I can't get into BIOS/UEFI or boot menu since the start.

My keyboard is not powered at startup. The mouse and keyboard only get powered when Windows is already starting.

How can I solve this ?

---
Things tried:
- Tried what is suggested here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-startup/f543c8ac-2632-40ea-bbf3-9c94f7e16a60
Did NOT work. (Unchecked "Turn on fast startup" did not work. Then also unchecked "Sleep" did not work.)

Last edited:
I read some explanations the say that when you have "Ultra Fast Boost" or something like that, you can skip it by going to
Start > Update & Security >Recovery > Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings > Restart.

Tried what is suggested here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-startup/f543c8ac-2632-40ea-bbf3-9c94f7e16a60
Did NOT work. (Unchecked "Turn on fast startup" did not work.
Fast boot and Fast startup are completely different things.
They sound somilar but are not related at all.

Reactions: MaxT2

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I managed to re-install Windows after using a work around.
I have a USB hub attached to the computer and I noticed that this wasn't going off. So I temporarily plugged the keyboard on the USB hub, it worked during boot.

However I just consider this a workaround I still would like to understand the issue... and not have to rely on the USB hub.

I may try some boots without the USB key with the hub itself unplugged later.

What are specs of your system?
If it is something ancient, then use PS/2 style keyboard an mouse.

I added my configuration to my signature.

No PS/2 stuff. My keyboard is old (Logitech G11, but still USB).

Many boards go straight to the BIOS when no disks are attached, which would allow you to set the USB ports to always stay on (this option is for if you want to charge your phone or other device while the computer is off or sleeping, or wake it with mouse movement) just like how the externally powered USB hub always keeps its ports powered on.

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
Thanks. Well I don't want the USB slots from the computer to be always on ... I just want them to be on so that I can use keyboard on boot.
(In the mean time, I noticed that my motherboard come with some .exe file name something like "AsrRestartToUEFI", I haven't tried it, but I keep it at hand in my new installation.)

MaxT2

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I the following and keyboard worked on boot:
- Unplugged the USB hub completely (which was plugged-in in the Type A USB 3.1).
- Re-plugged the keyboard to the back side USB where it was previously plugged (which the USB 3.0 immediately to the left of the USB 3.1 and close to the network).
- Moved the webcam plug that was plugged in the silver-framed USB3.0 slot to one of the upped slots (left on the image).
- (Also Windows has been re-installed. I haven't done many tests yesterday since it was reinstalled.)

And I was able to enter BIOS/UEFI at start.

So one or several of these changes seem to solve the issue, but I'm not sure which one(s) so far.

(Also in the operation I realised that I have de USB 3.1 Type C on this computer, which I never used since it's kind of hidden behind my desk.)

Reference image:
91RG0cdhAFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Your motherboard has PS/2 socket. So you could use PS/2 keyboard.
I do not have a PS/2 keyboard. But maybe I should get some (USB-PS/2 adaptor so I could free one USB.)