Cannot read My Passport files from a Mac

PS172

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
Hello,
I have a My Passport Ultra Storage Unit (WD) wich I used to backup the files in my PC via the software (Smartware). Then I changed to a Mac, hoping to recover the information via the same software, but when i installed it and opened it, it wouldn't recognize the drive. I don't know why it doesn't recognize it or how i could make it do that.
Thanks for any help you can give me! :D

Solution
Hi. Macs use a different file system to PCs, so that's probably the reason. Copy the files on the drive to a PC, and then format the drive using the mac. Software is available by WD that came with the drive that can be used to format it to the correct format which I believe is HFS. You can then copy the files back onto the drive and it should work fine!
Good luck

Marklamarkle

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Hi. Macs use a different file system to PCs, so that's probably the reason. Copy the files on the drive to a PC, and then format the drive using the mac. Software is available by WD that came with the drive that can be used to format it to the correct format which I believe is HFS. You can then copy the files back onto the drive and it should work fine!
Good luck

Solution

Latest posts