Cannot receive fax in Fax Console in XP

I am trying to get set up to send and receive faxes thru my laptop which has
XP. I am able to send faxes fine. However, I cannot receive faxes. It says
the call is answered and that it is receiving, but it never comes through.
Can anyone help me? If I can send, I should be able to receive shouldn't I?
I've tried on my desktop and can do both fine there. I'm stressed out to the
max. Please HELP!
--
Jenni

When a fax system is set to 'auto-answer' any ring of the phone, the 'init string' or "extra initialization commands" of the modem
properties are set to include the letter A (or ATA).

Control panel,..., Phone and modem.... Properties,... Modem tab... advanced tab.

I don't know how your fax software makes this setting, but somewhere in it's options should be a checkbox for that. Manually hacking
in the init string would probably also work.
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509