Question Cannot reformat and recover my sister's laptop

daddystabz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
My sister has a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop that needs to be recovered but everything I seem to try does not work.

I tried using my Windows Boot Disk CD and it tells me that her laptop cannot run Windows 10. I assumed it was running Windows 10 already. It will not allow me to do hardly anything in normal boot mode. I cannot type anything into the search bars to try to access much because when I do, it doesn't type anything. The Windows Start Menu button is not working. Even a Windows boot USB flash drive failed.

I was able to get it to Command Prompt but Format C: also failed to work. Some things are telling me I do not have permission to do. I thought I was on the admin account. I tried going into Safe Mode and trying some of these things to no avail. I even tried restoring it to a previous restore point and that failed.

I seem to be about out of options here. I also received a couple of errors at different times. I received a "Uknown Hard Error" and this makes me wonder if the hard drive is failing and that it could be responsible for a lot of the issues and things that will not work/respond. I also received a File System Error 1073740791 as well.

Please help! What can I do at this point to get this thing recovered so I can install an OS?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My sister has a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop that needs to be recovered but everything I seem to try does not work.

I tried using my Windows Boot Disk CD and it tells me that her laptop cannot run Windows 10. I assumed it was running Windows 10 already. It will not allow me to do hardly anything in normal boot mode. I cannot type anything into the search bars to try to access much because when I do, it doesn't type anything. The Windows Start Menu button is not working. Even a Windows boot USB flash drive failed.

I was able to get it to Command Prompt but Format C: also failed to work. Some things are telling me I do not have permission to do. I thought I was on the admin account. I tried going into Safe Mode and trying some of these things to no avail. I even tried restoring it to a previous restore point and that failed.

I seem to be about out of options here. I also received a couple of errors at different times. I received a "Uknown Hard Error" and this makes me wonder if the hard drive is failing and that it could be responsible for a lot of the issues and things that will not work/respond. I also received a File System Error 1073740791 as well.

Please help! What can I do at this point to get this thing recovered so I can install an OS?
Please list the Specs
OR
The model of the laptop.

I would buy a new drive for the system then run the Windows setup on that. No reason why that model should not be able to run Win 10 setup on it, the exact message you may have gotten from the installer was probably "windows can't be installed on this partition" not that the laptop can't run Windows 10. Need to post the exact wording of the error message you got when trying to install Windows.