Cannot reinstall HP Photosmart 7660 printer

Hewlett Packard Support has been frustrating at best. It seems I have
three different technicians working on my problem all of whom keep
sending me an inane letter that starts out with "I am personally
following up with you concerning your recent e-mail. We have not heard
from you and want to be sure your issue has been resolved. If your
issue has not been resolved, please respond to us with a detailed
description of the steps you tried and the results. We will be happy
to assist you further."

What's really maddening is that I have consistantly replied, told them
I still have the problem and asked specific questions they seem either
reluctant or unable to answer.

My basic problem is an error reinstalling Photosmart 7660 after a hard
drive crash. I followed all instructions and the install seems to go
well until the add-on software starts loading. At a reading of 32%
installed I get an error message "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" - The heading
on box says " E:\Setup\hpzmsi01.exe -m webu -I ENU -f
C:\WINNT\HPHins02.dat - Validate No -w 262284"

This would appear to be a corrupted Microsoft Windows Installer but I
have no idea how to correct it.

If I accept the error the software and printer drivers completely
uninstall.

I have continued to try and resolve this problem without success. I
was able to get the printer to work by plugging it in and letting the
"Found New Hardware" install the drivers from the CD. However I cannot
get the "complete software up and running. HP Photo & Imaging seems
OK. HP Director is not working and comes up with a "Script Error" as
follows: "Line 26, Character 9, Error: Library Not Registered, Code 0

What I did when I got the "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" rather than OK it
and have everything uninstalled was to use "Task Manager" to end the
program (without uninstalling). This is a (somewhat unsatisfactory)
workaround but at least I've got the ability to print.

The Startup HP folder shows: Memories Disc, Stop product Survey
participation and Photosmart 140, 240, 7200, 7600, 7700, 7900. These
would appear to be working although I haven't thoroughly tested them
all.

Is there any possible way to install this software by installing
specific files/programs from the CD as opposed to simply running
"SetUp.exe"?

The following reference was given but was of no assistance:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00045440

Does anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks

Don't use the CD. Go to their web site, and download the latest drivers for
your operating system.

Bill Crocker

"Thomas J. Carnegie" <carnegie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hewlett Packard Support has been frustrating at best. It seems I have
> three different technicians working on my problem all of whom keep
> sending me an inane letter that starts out with "I am personally
> following up with you concerning your recent e-mail. We have not heard
> from you and want to be sure your issue has been resolved. If your
> issue has not been resolved, please respond to us with a detailed
> description of the steps you tried and the results. We will be happy
> to assist you further."
>
> What's really maddening is that I have consistantly replied, told them
> I still have the problem and asked specific questions they seem either
> reluctant or unable to answer.
>
> My basic problem is an error reinstalling Photosmart 7660 after a hard
> drive crash. I followed all instructions and the install seems to go
> well until the add-on software starts loading. At a reading of 32%
> installed I get an error message "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" - The heading
> on box says " E:\Setup\hpzmsi01.exe -m webu -I ENU -f
> C:\WINNT\HPHins02.dat - Validate No -w 262284"
>
> This would appear to be a corrupted Microsoft Windows Installer but I
> have no idea how to correct it.
>
> If I accept the error the software and printer drivers completely
> uninstall.
>
> I have continued to try and resolve this problem without success. I
> was able to get the printer to work by plugging it in and letting the
> "Found New Hardware" install the drivers from the CD. However I cannot
> get the "complete software up and running. HP Photo & Imaging seems
> OK. HP Director is not working and comes up with a "Script Error" as
> follows: "Line 26, Character 9, Error: Library Not Registered, Code 0
>
> What I did when I got the "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" rather than OK it
> and have everything uninstalled was to use "Task Manager" to end the
> program (without uninstalling). This is a (somewhat unsatisfactory)
> workaround but at least I've got the ability to print.
>
> The Startup HP folder shows: Memories Disc, Stop product Survey
> participation and Photosmart 140, 240, 7200, 7600, 7700, 7900. These
> would appear to be working although I haven't thoroughly tested them
> all.
>
> Is there any possible way to install this software by installing
> specific files/programs from the CD as opposed to simply running
> "SetUp.exe"?
>
> The following reference was given but was of no assistance:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00045440
>
> Does anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks

Have done this - unfortunately with the same result as outlined below.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:49:50 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
<wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

>Don't use the CD. Go to their web site, and download the latest drivers for
>your operating system.
>
>Bill Crocker
>

>"Thomas J. Carnegie" <carnegie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Hewlett Packard Support has been frustrating at best. It seems I have
>> three different technicians working on my problem all of whom keep
>> sending me an inane letter that starts out with "I am personally
>> following up with you concerning your recent e-mail. We have not heard
>> from you and want to be sure your issue has been resolved. If your
>> issue has not been resolved, please respond to us with a detailed
>> description of the steps you tried and the results. We will be happy
>> to assist you further."
>>
>> What's really maddening is that I have consistantly replied, told them
>> I still have the problem and asked specific questions they seem either
>> reluctant or unable to answer.
>>
>> My basic problem is an error reinstalling Photosmart 7660 after a hard
>> drive crash. I followed all instructions and the install seems to go
>> well until the add-on software starts loading. At a reading of 32%
>> installed I get an error message "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" - The heading
>> on box says " E:\Setup\hpzmsi01.exe -m webu -I ENU -f
>> C:\WINNT\HPHins02.dat - Validate No -w 262284"
>>
>> This would appear to be a corrupted Microsoft Windows Installer but I
>> have no idea how to correct it.
>>
>> If I accept the error the software and printer drivers completely
>> uninstall.
>>
>> I have continued to try and resolve this problem without success. I
>> was able to get the printer to work by plugging it in and letting the
>> "Found New Hardware" install the drivers from the CD. However I cannot
>> get the "complete software up and running. HP Photo & Imaging seems
>> OK. HP Director is not working and comes up with a "Script Error" as
>> follows: "Line 26, Character 9, Error: Library Not Registered, Code 0
>>
>> What I did when I got the "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" rather than OK it
>> and have everything uninstalled was to use "Task Manager" to end the
>> program (without uninstalling). This is a (somewhat unsatisfactory)
>> workaround but at least I've got the ability to print.
>>
>> The Startup HP folder shows: Memories Disc, Stop product Survey
>> participation and Photosmart 140, 240, 7200, 7600, 7700, 7900. These
>> would appear to be working although I haven't thoroughly tested them
>> all.
>>
>> Is there any possible way to install this software by installing
>> specific files/programs from the CD as opposed to simply running
>> "SetUp.exe"?
>>
>> The following reference was given but was of no assistance:
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00045440
>>
>> Does anyone have any further suggestions? Thanks

Tried this but it didn't work. Thanks anyway.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:52:04 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Don't use the CD. Go to their web site, and download the latest drivers for
>> your operating system.
>
>The drivers are available at
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=305364&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

momo

Well, I think the point Bob may be making is that you can install the
drivers without installing all the software, despite all the warnings
not to do so. If you connect the printer, then when the "new hardaware"
wizard comes up, select "have disk" and point it at the correct
directory on the CD.

I have another version of the same basic problem with the same printer.
It's not the famous webu error, but a very similar one where the
hphins02.dat file "cannot be found". No luck with a solution from the
support desk yet. Though I have had, and tried, six different solutions
so far. The printer works fine with the driver-only install, and the
software installation works fine on another HP PC, but not on the
Compaq Presario 5439EA I now want to connect it to.

I see a complete install of the OS as a last resort.
One thing that has often worked for me is to register each of the
programs that seem to be failing.

use REGSVR32.EXE to perform the necessary registration tasks.

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:41:17 GMT, Thomas J. Carnegie

TRENDING THREADS