Cannot Reinstall via Media nor Wipe Drive using Advanced Repair Options

Nov 8, 2018
Overview of Issue
I recently purchased an installed a new motherboard and CPU. I knew that after the installation, I would likely need to reinstall windows, but couldn't for the first few days due to work related things.

Unfortunately, I'm having severe issues now that do not seem to be easily remedied by reinstalling Windows on my drive in pretty much any conventional capacity.

What is happening is that my computer will not boot/shutdown effectively or correctly. 75% of the time when I go to shut down using either the shutdown button or command line, it will not work. I have to power cycle to shut off. When this occurs, it will take anywhere from 5-15 boot attempts to actually boot to Windows.

I tried to do a hard reset of my drive through advanced repair options, but it fails at 50% with a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED at storport.sys. I've browsed this forum, and others, for that error and none of the fixes given have worked.

Attempted Fixes

1. Soft Re-installation of Windows through Advanced Repair Options. I did this in an attempt to keep some files. It successfully ran, but did not remedy the issue.

2.Repair/Reinstallation through bootable USB - When I use this method, it will effectively get to the purple screen 75% of the time. However, once it reaches that, it will begin Setup. A few seconds following, a Windows Setup window will appear with the error, "Windows cannot read the <ProductKey> setting from the unattend answer file..

At no point during this process have I been presented any input options. Especially not a product key.

3.Repair/Reinstall through Windows 10 Pro Disc - I received this from a friend who works at a University IT department. This will net me nothing. It will have a circle loading with my Motherboard Logo in the background, and then after 10 minutes go to a black screen.

4.Ensured Media Install Options Work - I have used both the USB and the Disc on an older personal laptop, and it works quickly and effectively at reinstalling Windows.

5. Upgrade Drivers - In case it was something wonky with the drivers, I ensured all of my drivers were up to date through the use of some software.

6. Check Disk - I found a few cmd line check-disk commands. All came back with nothing.

7. Checked Drive (Samesung 850 EVO - Used Samsung Magician's tool to ensure my drive was in operating condition. All is clear on that end.

Theories
I'm pretty well just tossing out guesses at this point. I've been struggling to correct this issue for about 2 weeks now, and am about to the point of taking it to a shop and telling them to have their way.

A few of my IT friends believe it may be related to my SSD, but I can't really get behind that belief. The Installation media works quickly and effectively on my laptop. It takes forever to even load when plugged into my desktop. I'm not even reaching the point in choosing a drive to install or repair on.

I'm wondering if there's not an issue with the motherboard itself at that point. But, I've pretty much exhausted all other options that I know of, aside from moving files on a separate drive, installing windows on it, clearing my main drive once i'm into the other one, and doing that fun loop for a number of hours.

I appreciate any insight you guys might have. Thank you!

Nov 8, 2018

That error appeared with the USB, which was just containing the media stuff you can find on Microsoft's site. The CD wouldn't actually show anything aside from the black screen with Mobo manufacturer logo, and a spinning circle.

USAFRet

Titan

USB or DVD properly built with the MediaCreation tool should not show anything about 'unattend answer file'.
You're booting directly from this USB?

Nov 8, 2018

Yup! I have done this multiple times before across my own devices and others, and have never encountered an issue like this.

Nov 8, 2018

Well, thats comforting haha

Nov 8, 2018
Hey USAFRet, I found the problem-ish.

I'm not sure the error that was being created by the USB, but the error with the boot issue appears to have been caused by a separate, failing drive. Apparently when windows would start up, it would hit this SSD. Not sure why this causes boot or shutdown errors, but the problem hasn't appeared since. I've cycled it about 30 times now, and it hasn't reoccurred.

Thought you might like to know for future reference!