[SOLVED] Cannot reinstall Windows + Constant BSOD

Jan 15, 2020
I was browsing the internet and switched to Skype when suddenly I got my first BSOD on Windows 10. From that point forward during boot I would get a BSOD, along with Windows trying to repair the issue. Every time it "repairs", another BSOD with a different stopcode. Including: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I had this computer working flawlessly without any crashes for slightly over a month. Though I noticed that it feels slightly sluggish, even if it's a i9 9900k with 32 GB RAM.

I ran MemTest86 on one stick and gave me hundreds of errors within seconds. I got rid of the RAM and now I'm running the other stick and it received three errors so far (second pass). Seems like that RAM is "working" better than the other one, but I still keep getting the same issue with trying to launch into Windows. With that RAM seated (in different ports) I would get the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION error constantly if the SSD was connected (which has original Windows 10 install)

Tried booting from "Windows Media Creation" multiple times, but I get the same BSOD error except at a lower resolution. I have downloaded the tool to two different USB sticks and tried different USB ports as well. I cannot format my SSD or get Windows installed at all.

What are the chances of the motherboard being faulty and having to be replaced? Or the CPU? Anything I could do to test if they're working as intended? It's going to take like a week to receive replacement RAM sticks. If the new RAM doesn't fix the issue, should I replace everything else? Get an exchange on the CPU, Mobo, or what would be the next logical step?

Would greatly appreciate some help or advice. Thanks for reading this wall of text.

Solution
Thanks! Hopefully it will work all out. It's the same PSU my old computer had.

Now I just need to figure out whether to RMA the motherboard as well (customer service told me I should - but they didn't know about the CPU RMA) or wait until I get a replacement CPU and see what happens.

A bad CPU cannot ruin a motherboard or vice versa, right?

Ah just like I thought. So it's an old PSU from your former computer. I would recommend replacing it with a new one as it's already chirping since from your former system. You said the chirping and problems originated from there. Did I get it right? Sorry my bad.

There's a high probability it's the PSU not the CPU or board but let me know how it'll end up. Fingers crossed.

Can a faulty...
Sounds like your ram may be the issue. Ram is cheap now, may try another kit. This question might sound silly, but does your ram have heatspreaders on it? I once had some ram cook itself. The heatspreader on that stick actually seemed to have insulated the ram and kept heat in. When I replaced the module all was well. If the system does ok with new ram, great. If not, might look at your board.

Jan 15, 2020
Sounds like your ram may be the issue. Ram is cheap now, may try another kit. This question might sound silly, but does your ram have heatspreaders on it? I once had some ram cook itself. The heatspreader on that stick actually seemed to have insulated the ram and kept heat in. When I replaced the module all was well. If the system does ok with new ram, great. If not, might look at your board.
I hope you're right! The RAM does have heatspreaders. It's a G. Skill RipJaw V. When I installed them the very first time thought the heatspreaders were damaged (spreads apart near the edges), then figured it was by design. Could be damage after all. Surprised didn't experience any crashes or errors until today though.

Jan 15, 2020
What are your full specs? I would suggest that you try a different ram kit and see if the system acts better. If so, you may need to RMA your ram.
My specs are:
  • i9 9900k
  • MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
  • G. Skill RipJaws V 3600mhz 32GB RAM (16X2)
  • Noctua NH-D15S
  • GTX 1070
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU
  • Samsung SSD Pro and various hard drives
I've ordered a different brand of RAM on Amazon which should arrive today, while I'm waiting for the RMA RAM to arrive. Will update the thread if it works out (or if doesn't)!

Jan 15, 2020
Update: Got a new RAM, different brand and sizes, and still gives me the same errors. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, and KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

I still cannot boot my SSD nor use the Media Tool.

Any tips?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I was browsing the internet and switched to Skype when suddenly I got my first BSOD on Windows 10. From that point forward during boot I would get a BSOD, along with Windows trying to repair the issue. Every time it "repairs", another BSOD with a different stopcode. Including: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I had this computer working flawlessly without any crashes for slightly over a month. Though I noticed that it feels slightly sluggish, even if it's a i9 9900k with 32 GB RAM.

I ran MemTest86 on one stick and gave me hundreds of errors within seconds. I got rid of the RAM and now I'm running the other stick and it received three errors so far (second pass). Seems like that RAM is "working" better than the other one, but I still keep getting the same issue with trying to launch into Windows. With that RAM seated (in different ports) I would get the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION error constantly if the SSD was connected (which has original Windows 10 install)

Tried booting from "Windows Media Creation" multiple times, but I get the same BSOD error except at a lower resolution. I have downloaded the tool to two different USB sticks and tried different USB ports as well. I cannot format my SSD or get Windows installed at all.

What are the chances of the motherboard being faulty and having to be replaced? Or the CPU? Anything I could do to test if they're working as intended? It's going to take like a week to receive replacement RAM sticks. If the new RAM doesn't fix the issue, should I replace everything else? Get an exchange on the CPU, Mobo, or what would be the next logical step?

Would greatly appreciate some help or advice. Thanks for reading this wall of text.

Can you use another 1 RAM aside from the first 2 stick? This is a huge array of problematic hardwares. I suspect a faulty / unstable PSU if the RAM solution doesn't solve anything. Have you tried checking it by replacing with a spare one or connecting it to another computer?

It's not usual to hear a faulty board or CPU. Please check the PSU first before concluding anything about the mobo / cpu.

If everything is problematic most of the time, a faulty power source is the culprit. Especially that you mentioned that it's some kinda sluggish through out the whole period of these problems.

EDIT: You should also check your harddrive for problems. Try doing some chkdsk. If it also shows issues like bad sectors and similar stuff, let me know.

I also saw that you already replaced it with a brand new RAM, not RAM definitely.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Can you use another 1 RAM aside from the first 2 stick? This is a huge array of problematic hardwares. I suspect a faulty / unstable PSU if the RAM solution doesn't solve anything. Have you tried checking it by replacing with a spare one or connecting it to another computer?

It's not usual to hear a faulty board or CPU. Please check the PSU first before concluding anything about the mobo / cpu.

If everything is problematic most of the time, a faulty power source is the culprit. Especially that you mentioned that it's some kinda sluggish through out the whole period of these problems.

EDIT: You should also check your harddrive for problems. Try doing some chkdsk. If it also shows issues like bad sectors and similar stuff, let me know.

I also saw that you already replaced it with a brand new RAM, not RAM definitely.
I'm using the RAM right now that I ordered from Amazon earlier today. Running memtest and I got an error already during Test 8, CPU:2. Even with the other defective RAM, the errors always happen on CPU:2. This is my first time using MemTest, but I'm getting a hunch that maybe something is wrong with the CPU?

Wish I had another power supply, just to make sure. The sluggishness could have came from the RAM or CPU or having Avast installed. There was just a noticeable delay sometimes. But I could play demanding games without a problem, while at the same time having Adobe and Firefox open.

I cannot access CHKDSK. Just MemTest and BIOS.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I'm using the RAM right now that I ordered from Amazon earlier today. Running memtest and I got an error already during Test 8, CPU:2. Even with the other defective RAM, the errors always happen on CPU:2. This is my first time using MemTest, but I'm getting a hunch that maybe something is wrong with the CPU?

Wish I had another power supply, just to make sure. The sluggishness could have came from the RAM or CPU or having Avast installed. There was just a noticeable delay sometimes. But I could play demanding games without a problem, while at the same time having Adobe and Firefox open.

I cannot access CHKDSK. Just MemTest and BIOS.

Yea, looks like a slowly dying PSU. It can cause a lot of problems from RAM to HDD to everything. But don't go with that conclusion first, you should check every component as much as possible first.

Is there any other stuff I need to know?

Jan 15, 2020
Yea, looks like a slowly dying PSU. It can cause a lot of problems from RAM to HDD to everything. But don't go with that conclusion first, you should check every component as much as possible first.

Is there any other stuff I need to know?
The PSU would make faint chirping sounds sometimes while playing certain games. I could prevent it by switching the back of the PSU to (or from) Eco-Friendly Mode (or something like that). I had the same PSU with my old machine as well, which is when the chirping initially started.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
The PSU would make faint chirping sounds sometimes while playing certain games. I could prevent it by switching the back of the PSU to (or from) Eco-Friendly Mode (or something like that). I had the same PSU with my old machine as well, which is when the chirping initially started.

Are you sure it's from the PSU, not from the hard drive or something else with moving parts like fan or something?

Being as your stuck in a boot loop and as you said computer is just a month old. I would take a couple of, for yourself reference pictures and than pull everything. Front case USB, Sound Cables, Reset switch DVD/ BR drive if you have one and unplug the hard drive.

Leave just the power switch for later.

Remove battery hold power switch 20/30 sec and than replace.

your Bios should come up saying there was a power failure and let you go into Bios and set to defaults.

If you get that far set your date and time than save and exit.

if your making progress post back and we can go from there

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Well that's an add issue but still lets see where this goes fingers crossed.
Additional support for my opinion but I don't really want to conclude about the PSU. But the chirping noise is a symptom of a dying capacitor or a faulty fan found inside.

Will wait, let's see where this topic goes.

@CrunchyCrocodile , do you experience or had experienced any of these symptoms before?
  • tripping electricity
  • tripping board anti surge protection indicating PSU
  • tripping AVR
  • electric shock everywhere (from case to monitor)
  • dimming lights when PSU/PC is turned on.
  • unusual fan/led lights behaviour
  • boot loop, no boot, no signal, boot occassionally
  • static and wavy monitor
  • freezing computer|
  • persisting hard drive corruption even when fixed
  • system slow down
  • BSoD
  • popping sound
  • burning plastic smell
  • smoke
  • flash of light from the PSU
  • unusual PSU power plug electric spark when plugged in the outlet.

NOTE: These symptoms can be long term or instantaneous. Most of the time it's slow moving indicating a slowly deteriorating PSU.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Leave just the power switch for later.
Remove battery hold power switch 20/30 sec and than replace.
your Bios should come up saying there was a power failure and let you go into Bios and set to defaults.
If you get that far set your date and time than save and exit.
if your making progress post back and we can go from there
I have just tried this. Removed the battery, waited five minutes, and then the computer would boot, shut down, and boot again telling me that the settings were reset. However, using the Media Creation Tool it would still crash. Except this time as soon as I saw the BSOD screen, my monitor cut out. Computer would reboot, same issue. No stopcode displayed even (for that fraction of a second the screen appeared). Then the third time I got the KERNEL stopcode and it stayed on screen until it would reboot.

The VGA and BOOT error lights would turn on my MOBO right before it would try to restart.

Additional support for my opinion but I don't really want to conclude about the PSU. But the chirping noise is a symptom of a dying capacitor or a faulty fan found inside. Do you experience or had experienced any of these symptoms before?
Yes! The lights in my room would dim every time I would turn on my computer for the first time (edit: also happens with my vacuum though). I would also hear an audible pop or click now and then, but I'm not sure if that was my power supply or the UPS I have the computer plugged into. On my old computer I would have the boot loop, no boot issue every six months or so. No freezes, but computer would feel slower (which is why I upgraded). For the latter I figured it was from switching to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I have just tried this. Removed the battery, waited five minutes, and then the computer would boot, shut down, and boot again telling me that the settings were reset. However, using the Media Creation Tool it would still crash. Except this time as soon as I saw the BSOD screen, my monitor cut out. Computer would reboot, same issue. No stopcode displayed even (for that fraction of a second the screen appeared). Then the third time I got the KERNEL stopcode and it stayed on screen until it would reboot.

The VGA and BOOT error lights would turn on my MOBO right before it would try to restart.

Yes! The lights in my room would dim every time I would turn on my computer for the first time (edit: also happens with my vacuum though). I would also hear an audible pop or click now and then, but I'm not sure if that was my power supply or the UPS I have the computer plugged into. On my old computer I would have the boot loop, no boot issue every six months or so. No freezes, but computer would feel slower (which is why I upgraded). For the latter I figured it was from switching to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Dimming is normal, like for those who have old and weak household electric lines..
But if the PSU/PC wasn't doing that in the past or you're experiencing this thing the first time then you might want to consider it. Can you try directly plugging it into an outlet and not from any other sort of AVR or UPS just to rule out.

EX: Mine wasn't really dimming our lights, but after using a faulty PSU, it dims everytime I switched it on discovering it has an unstable / leaking power.

Also want to add that dimming (brown outs) is not good for your PC. Like blackouts and power surge, it can affect your PC bigtime.

Is the popping and clicking sound from the PSU? If it is, then you might want to observe it a little more. It's a bit scary for me as it can indicate a "spark" or "clog" or something.

CAn you try reducing the load? Like removing each and every device and placing them 1 part at a time (ex. 1 ram, 1 drive, 1 fan, no peripherals)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
I appreciate everyone's help/tips so far. Thank you.
Can you try directly plugging it into an outlet and not from any other sort of AVR or UPS just to rule out. Is the popping and clicking sound from the PSU? If it is, then you might want to observe it a little more. It's a bit scary for me as it can indicate a "spark" or "clog" or something.
The chirping sound came from the fan inside the PSU, I believe. At one point thought getting a replacement, but hitting the mode switch on the back eliminated the sound (would do it even while idle, but now only did during demanding games). Wasn't concerned about it afterwards as this system was stable up until this point.

Tried plugging the PC into directly into the wall outlet, but made no difference.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I appreciate everyone's help/tips so far. Thank you.

The chirping sound came from the fan inside the PSU, I believe. At one point thought getting a replacement, but hitting the mode switch on the back eliminated the sound (would do it even while idle, but now only did during demanding games). Wasn't concerned about it afterwards as this system was stable up until this point.

Tried plugging the PC into directly into the wall outlet, but made no difference.

I see. Since you have no other option to test your PSU to rule out, like a multimeter or spare PSU, you can take it to the nearest tech shop and let them test it using multimeter or test it on another PC. That would save you time.

Try reducing the load. You might be getting insufficient, unstable power.