[SOLVED] Cannot reinstall Windows + Constant BSOD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 15, 2020
I was browsing the internet and switched to Skype when suddenly I got my first BSOD on Windows 10. From that point forward during boot I would get a BSOD, along with Windows trying to repair the issue. Every time it "repairs", another BSOD with a different stopcode. Including: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I had this computer working flawlessly without any crashes for slightly over a month. Though I noticed that it feels slightly sluggish, even if it's a i9 9900k with 32 GB RAM.

I ran MemTest86 on one stick and gave me hundreds of errors within seconds. I got rid of the RAM and now I'm running the other stick and it received three errors so far (second pass). Seems like that RAM is "working" better than the other one, but I still keep getting the same issue with trying to launch into Windows. With that RAM seated (in different ports) I would get the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION error constantly if the SSD was connected (which has original Windows 10 install)

Tried booting from "Windows Media Creation" multiple times, but I get the same BSOD error except at a lower resolution. I have downloaded the tool to two different USB sticks and tried different USB ports as well. I cannot format my SSD or get Windows installed at all.

What are the chances of the motherboard being faulty and having to be replaced? Or the CPU? Anything I could do to test if they're working as intended? It's going to take like a week to receive replacement RAM sticks. If the new RAM doesn't fix the issue, should I replace everything else? Get an exchange on the CPU, Mobo, or what would be the next logical step?

Would greatly appreciate some help or advice. Thanks for reading this wall of text.

Solution
Thanks! Hopefully it will work all out. It's the same PSU my old computer had.

Now I just need to figure out whether to RMA the motherboard as well (customer service told me I should - but they didn't know about the CPU RMA) or wait until I get a replacement CPU and see what happens.

A bad CPU cannot ruin a motherboard or vice versa, right?

Ah just like I thought. So it's an old PSU from your former computer. I would recommend replacing it with a new one as it's already chirping since from your former system. You said the chirping and problems originated from there. Did I get it right? Sorry my bad.

There's a high probability it's the PSU not the CPU or board but let me know how it'll end up. Fingers crossed.

Can a faulty...
Jan 15, 2020
I see. Since you have no other option to test your PSU to rule out, like a multimeter or spare PSU, you can take it to the nearest tech shop and let them test it using multimeter or test it on another PC. That would save you time.

Try reducing the load. You might be getting insufficient, unstable power.
Thank you for taking the time to try to help me with my issue. I appreciate it. Probably will request a replacement PSU, if my mobo or CPU needs to be exchanged, since supposedly EVGA covers those chirps.

Jan 15, 2020
I just came across a discussion on Reddit where numerous people have had the same issue as I did with a i9 9900k. Dying while browsing the internet after two or three weeks of usage. Perhaps the issue lies there for me as well. Going to RMA it tomorrow morning. Will update the thread, if it's still open by the time I get the replacement part.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I just came across a discussion on Reddit where numerous people have had the same issue as I did with a i9 9900k. Dying while browsing the internet after two or three weeks of usage. Perhaps the issue lies there for me as well. Going to RMA it tomorrow morning. Will update the thread, if it's still open by the time I get the replacement part.
Yea that's why im not recommending you for a replacement PSU. A tech should test it first on a different PC to rule out.It can also be the board and the CPU.

If the popping chirping sounds so bothering then it's a good idea to request for warranty/replacement.

Jan 15, 2020
Update: Intel decided to refund my CPU, as they were out of stock of the 9900k. Unfortunately I bought it during a Black Friday sale, so I have been penalized around $80 + tax (price difference if I were to buy another one). Here's something interesting:

If you use the default XMP settings for your RAM in BIOS, it voids the warranty on your processor.

You have to purchase a Performance Tuning Protection Plan for $20 from Intel. Needless to say, I probably won't buy another 9900k after this. Support was very friendly and helpful, though.

If the popping chirping sounds so bothering then it's a good idea to request for warranty/replacement.
Thanks for taking the time to help troubleshoot my issue. I'm going to RMA the power supply as well, just in case.

Last edited:

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Update: Intel decided to refund my CPU, as they were out of stock of the 9900k. Unfortunately I bought it during a Black Friday sale, so I have been penalized around $80 + tax (price difference if I were to buy another one). Here's something interesting:

If you use the default XMP settings for your RAM in BIOS, it voids the warranty on your processor.

You have to purchase a Performance Tuning Protection Plan for $20 from Intel. Needless to say, I probably won't buy another 9900k after this. Support was very friendly and helpful, though.

Thanks for taking the time to help troubleshoot my issue. I'm going to RMA the power supply as well, just in case.

Awesome, hope they would agree with the PSU as well. But as i'm doing a backread, I noticed that you have a spare computer? Can you try the PSU there? Or it is the same PSU your old computer has?

Jan 15, 2020
Awesome, hope they would agree with the PSU as well. But as i'm doing a backread, I noticed that you have a spare computer? Can you try the PSU there? Or it is the same PSU your old computer has?

Now I just need to figure out whether to RMA the motherboard as well (customer service told me I should - but they didn't know about the CPU RMA) or wait until I get a replacement CPU and see what happens.

Reactions: madartzgraphics
Jan 15, 2020
Since you've had so many issues, it couldn't hurt. Since your psu is older and chirping, I'd recommend replacing it. As far as a 20 dollar charge or they void warranty? Wow!!!!

Glad I buy AMD products. Think I'll keep up with that idea.
I was going to buy a Ryzen 3800X initially. If I knew Intel considers using XMP profiles for RAM as "against the rules", I would have went with AMD instead and save my money. I only chose Intel because I wanted 3600 Mhz RAM without any fuss (plug and play, out of the box). Oh well.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Ah just like I thought. So it's an old PSU from your former computer. I would recommend replacing it with a new one as it's already chirping since from your former system. You said the chirping and problems originated from there. Did I get it right? Sorry my bad.

There's a high probability it's the PSU not the CPU or board but let me know how it'll end up. Fingers crossed.

Can a faulty CPU damage a board? Yes but not really, in terms of damage, a PSU can inflict damage the most . I've answered one yesterday about a thread, well he swapped a modular cables and melted his SATA cables and fried his drives. Accidental mistake.

CPU can outlast every components a computer has.. It's the last hardware to die usually unless you get a DoA or you're very unlucky. I still have Athlon II x2 255 and Pentium e5700. They're still alive and kickin while the most hardwares are all dying and dead. All in high performance mode running 24/7 for graphics business.

Last edited:
Solution
On the warranty for xmp profiles, it looks like that's a thing. Found a Reddit thread where people were talking about that. I guess Intel is taking the stance of since the memory controller is built into the CPU, that you are essentially overclocking the CPU by using the xmp profile, and so that you should use the default 2133 MHz speed.

A lot of people basically said just do not tell them you used that setting and they should never know. So that would be my advice is don't tell them you were using that setting with the new CPU.

Jan 15, 2020
Update for those who'll find this thread in Google search: The issue was most likely with the motherboard. I got a replacement and it had different packaging (manual in more than one language, different cardboard compartments). I initially either received an open box item or got an old stock with an outdated BIOS (did not come with a registration card, box was scuffed). When I first built my computer, Windows install would BSOD. Thought it was a bad Windows Media Creation tool install, as eventually it worked in different USB slot.

With the new motherboard, Windows installed without a problem. If you search for "MSI Forum WHEA" you will find a thread where someone had my issues for months and supposedly it's the motherboard supplying too much voltage (or too little?). The fix seems to be going into BIOS and manually changing settings. Confirmed from other Reddit threads as well.

I also got a replacement CPU, so technically that also could have had the issue. My PSU remained the same.