[SOLVED] cannot remove cover from IBM system X3550 M3 server

Thomas_173

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
A friend of mine gave me a (still working) old X3550 M3 server. I started looking into it yesterday to find out if I could get it up and running again, but I can't seem to get the cover off.

According to the manual I have to "press down the blue tab" and slide cover off, but no matter what I do, the cover seems to be stuck somehow... What am I missing here?
See: link to manual

I've been looking on YouTube and other places for video instruction but so far no avail... Could it be that the blue tab is broken or something?

A picture can be found here: View: https://imgur.com/a/2vxF49J

Solution
You may be doing nothing wrong.

From the linked manual:

"Important: Before you slide the cover forward, make sure that all the tabs on both the front, rear, and side of the cover engage the chassis correctly. If all the tabs do not engage the chassis correctly, it will be very difficult to remove the cover later."

=====

Try sliding the cover fully forward again keeping it square and perhaps getting some misaligned tab to properly engage.

Failing that you will need some plastic or wood "tools" and maybe someone to help with getting all of the tabs pressed in order to disengage them and slide the cover off.

No metal tools. Finesse - not force.

Ralston18

Titan
You may be doing nothing wrong.

From the linked manual:

"Important: Before you slide the cover forward, make sure that all the tabs on both the front, rear, and side of the cover engage the chassis correctly. If all the tabs do not engage the chassis correctly, it will be very difficult to remove the cover later."

=====

Try sliding the cover fully forward again keeping it square and perhaps getting some misaligned tab to properly engage.

Failing that you will need some plastic or wood "tools" and maybe someone to help with getting all of the tabs pressed in order to disengage them and slide the cover off.

No metal tools. Finesse - not force.

Solution