Cannot remove read only attribute

When I select a write protected folder with Windows Explorer and try to
remove the read only attribute in the property dialog, it looks like it
works - but when I close the dialog and immediately return to it, the read
only attribute is there again !

Someone with an explanation ?

/BosseH

Read-only means nothing for folders. Only a file can be Read-only.

[[Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
and other programs.]]

Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B326549

-----

The gray state means...

[[Microsoft calls this a tri-mode flag. When it has gray in the background,
it indicates that some file or folder anywhere under that particular folder
has been set to Read-only.

This checkmark does not actually control the Read-only attribute on the
child files and folder. It just displays their status.]]

Rally 'Round the Tri-Mode Flag
http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=652

If you uncheck the Read-Only attribute, Windows will prompt you to confirm
your changes.

-----
You have chosen to make the following attribute change(s):

unset read-only

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to
apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
-----

Click the option that you want, and then click OK.
---

Basically this means nothing for folders.

[[Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not
a folder is customized.]]
Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder

You can't remove the read-only attribute from a folder?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3212.htm

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uG63LDXNFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bo Hansson <bo1.hansson@telia.com> hunted and pecked:

Bo Hansson <bo1.hansson@telia.com> typed:

> When I select a write protected folder with Windows Explorer
> and try
> to remove the read only attribute in the property dialog, it
> looks
> like it works - but when I close the dialog and immediately
> return to
> it, the read only attribute is there again !
>
> Someone with an explanation ?

If you'll look more closely at the check mark in that Read-Only
box, you'll see that it's gray, not black. You can also verify
this by clicking a few times in the box; it will cycle among
*three* states: unchecked, checked in black, and checked in gray.

A black check means the item is read-only and an unchecked box
means it's not read-only. But the gray check means that it's
neither: the read-only attribute is not pertinent to folders.

So no, your folders aren't read-only, and what you are seeing is
perfectly normal. There's nothing to worry about and nothing to
fix.

Please reply to the newsgroup