[SOLVED] Cannot see other computers

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Re: A home network with three cabled computers, one wireless printer, on cabled printer, my wife's Kindle, using an TP-Link ArcherC9000 router.

When I go to file explorer and click on Network, I cannot see the other devices (computers or printers) on my network, only my computer shows up and the router. Although the printers (and other computers) do not in Network, the other computers can print using the printers on the network. The ultimate goal is to be able to receive files/share things between the computers on my network.

I have set Network Discovery to enabled as well as File Sharing. I have also reset the Network as has been suggested as a fix for the nodes not showing-up. I have set Windows Defender to allow those things on my private network to be accessed.

What am I missing here?

[Moderator edit: moving post from Windows 10 to Networking.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows can be difficult with networks ever since they dropped the Network Neighborhood feature a couple of years ago. You could try accessing the other computers by directly addressing them in Explorer:

\\[other computer name]\C\[optional folder name]

substituting the other computer names without any brackets. You can also set up shortcuts on your desktop or taskbar to start explorer and go to the other computers and folders:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe \\[other computer]\C\[optional folder]

Other drive letters can be substituted as well a optional folders.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Addendum: Experimenting this A.M., I got the network configured so that files can be shared between computers. Note: The other computers must be running and awake (not in sleep mode), to be seen by its peers (a senior, senile, mistake).