Question Cannot Seem to Upgrade CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinbullet

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
I bought an i7-9700K cause it was a steal at microcenter, as an upgrade to my i5-9600K. (Along with some ram). I am now on my third i7-9700K and nearing baldness. The i7 cannot make it past the post loading screen, even though all 3 have registered as new CPU with all ram that I had installed. All issues disappear when I put the i5 back. I just can't think of a cause for this. I have an Asus z370 prime a-II motherboard, 850w gold power supply and a Samsung ssd.

vinbullet

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Fairly certain I did this before, just did again for posterity, and it's freezing at the same place. On a side note, is loading defaults From bios functionally the same? I don't seem to have a jumper

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Fairly certain I did this before, just did again for posterity, and it's freezing at the same place. On a side note, is loading defaults From bios functionally the same? I don't seem to have a jumper
Unplug the power supply from the wall, remove the motherboard battery and leave it out about 20 minutes.

Since it works with the old processor it probably thinks it's the same one. Resting CMOS it should detect the new processor on boot.

Reactions: rickypicky5

vinbullet

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Well, I left it out for 40 minutes, CMOS was wiped, it can get into the bios just fine, and registers the CPU, and ram correctly. However once it gets past initial setup it won't display anything for 30 seconds, then posts into safe mode, goes to bios, rinse and repeat. Behaviours return to normal when the i5 goes in still. I updated the bios image but it didn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.