Question Cannot set M2 drive to boot on its own - ASUS ROG GL552 VW

subanta

Distinguished
May 9, 2013
Hi,

I have bought an M2 SATA SSD (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ) to use as a boot drive.

But the BIOS does not recognize the M2 drive while selecting boot device priority, or when trying to change boot source.

The drive otherwise works fine as a storage drive.

As a fix, I have installed the OS both on the 1 TB SATA(that came with the laptop) and on the M2 drive. When both the drives are connected, and I switch on the laptop, I am getting an option to choose which windows I want to load (this is screen shows automatically on startup, and this is not in the BIOS). Here I have selected the M2 drive and made the laptop remember my choice and skip this screen so that Windows is always loaded from the M2.

However, if both drives are not connected, I get a 'boot device not found' error. Windows cannot start from the M2 drive for some reason. It needs the windows installation on the other drive to startup itself.

Please tell me how to boot directly from the M2 drive.

subanta

Distinguished
May 9, 2013
Heres what I tried:

Enabled SecureBoot, CSM and other settings mentioned in the thread.

I noticed that my SSD started showing up in the Boot Priority Option. I added the SSD to priority 1.

System could not find a boot drive(like before)

I then removed the SATA drive and left only the M2 SSD and tried to boot.

Got the same error.

The M2 drive shows up in boot options, but cannot boot when selected. It says, no boot device found.