Cannot setup wireless router with Windows7

SOS-Graham

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
My windows 7 desktop (HP) will not discover my new d-link wireless router. Tried installing d-link software; doesn't work. Tried "finding" it manually - can't see it. It is like Windows 7 doesn't allow you to find the router. I've tried another router, thinking something might be wrong with the router. That didn't work.

I can't PING the router - get Destination Unreachable.

I've even tried another Windows desktop thinking that it might work -- but it doesn't. Wired connections work just fine. Just can't setup the wireless router.

Please help!

You need to connect to the wired port of the router and check your wireless configuration. Make sure wireless it enabled, you have it set to broadcast, etc... Take a look at the manual for the router.

I'm assuming your wireless cards are working in the computer, Windows sees it and you get the wireless link icon by the clock.

SOS-Graham

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I am connected to the wired port of the router - and the computer cannot "see" the router! That's what the real problem is... If I can get the computer to "see" the router, then I can set it up properly. I've done many of these on other operating systems - but never with Windows 7. I am not a novice. I just haven't worked with Windows 7 and can't figure out what the issue happens to be.

Thanks!

OK, you did say that wired connection work fine so it read like only wireless was not working. If you do an "ipconfig" command, do you get the proper IP? Should look like 192.168.1.x. Does the network icon by the clock state no connection? The router should be assigning your Win 7 machine an IP address same as any other OS. You can try to turn off the Windows firewall, although as a default setting, the firewall should allow you an IP connection to your router.

Just to clarify.. you have a Windows 7 computer, when you connect it to the router with an ethernet port, you can't ping the router, is that the issue? If you connect to the router using another computer, does it show the Windows 7 machine in the connected devices list?

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
"My windows 7 desktop (HP) will not discover my new d-link wireless router."

I have a D-Link router for the past 3 years but I don't remember an OS can discover the router as it is not physically connected with your PC...only by wired cable. I mean it's not like a ram, video card, internal modem or anything inside your PC.

If you tried another computer to conect to the router and it did not work, 2 things can be wrong here. The cable or the network ports on the router. Try a different cable, you can also try to do a reset of the router to get the ports working.

Check the network card, are there lights on it when you plug in the cable?