Cannot stop GPU drivers crashing even after fresh Windows install. GPU failing?

t_sutton

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Within 10 minutes or so of gaming, my monitor shuts off (the nvidia 970 drivers crash), and the game freezes and Windows reverts to basic graphics or whatever. I can fix this by disabling the nvidia in device manager, then re-enabling it. But it just happens again if I play the game. The strange thing is, this started happening out of nowhere (I hadn't changed anything) and still is going on despite trying different (older) drivers and doing a total clean install of Windows. Occasionally, there will be a Windows BSOD after these crashes ("Driver power state failure"). Temps are all fine. I'm at my wit's end... Can anyone spare a thought? Thank you.

No recent hardware changes...Totally fresh new drivers. Happens no matter what the game is. It feels like I've done everything but it's still crashing.

t_sutton

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
New things I tried: messing with PCI Express Power settings and power settings in general, but nothing helped. Although the crashes can happen at any time, they seem focused most on when there is some load, some complex activity on the screen, even though temperature still is not an issue.