Cannot stop Sync

1Bad7752

Prominent
Apr 29, 2022
First, let me say, I do NOT want my personal files stored on the cloud. That said, here is my problem. I just did a clean install of Windows 11 on my laptop (1Year old). I reinstalled all my programs and personal files, including Office Home and Business 2021. Next, I went to start/settings/apps/ installed apps and clicked on the 3 dots on the left of OneDrive and clicked on uninstall. Just to check I went to Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a program and OneDrive is NOT there anymore. When I start Edge my profile picture says Sync is on! I have spent hours on the internet trying all the different solutions. I contacted Microsoft support and after about an hour, their solution was to turn off my Microsoft account. I know that this works, but this is not the correct fix. On my 2 desktops my profile picture has a long ovel around it and inside it says Not syncing. I tried searching for the OneDrive folders and there are 83 of them. If I delete any of them my library folders disappear. The path is c:\windows\users\user name\onedrive\desktop or any of the other library folders. On my other computers the path does not include onedrive.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but this is not the correct fix.

In your opinion, what the "correct" fix would be? :unsure:

Since Micro$oft has done their OS and bundled software solely for the ease of data sync between devices/profiles. And as far as i know, there is no simple "off" switch for that.

To stop data sync, don't use M$ Edge. Instead use Firefox.

First, let me say, I do NOT want my personal files stored on the cloud.

For that, better option would be using any GNU/Linux distro than Windows. Or if using Win is a must, don't use M$ Account and don't use M$ Edge. Use Win without account and use different web browser.

E.g i'm using Win 10, no M$ Account and Firefox. And i have 0 issues with data sync. While Firefox does offer data sync, you can easily turn it off (i've done so).

1Bad7752

Prominent
Apr 29, 2022
In your opinion, what the "correct" fix would be? :unsure:

Since Micro$oft has done their OS and bundled software solely for the ease of data sync between devices/profiles. And as far as i know, there is no simple "off" switch for that.

To stop data sync, don't use M$ Edge. Instead use Firefox.

For that, better option would be using any GNU/Linux distro than Windows. Or if using Win is a must, don't use M$ Account and don't use M$ Edge. Use Win without account and use different web browser.

E.g i'm using Win 10, no M$ Account and Firefox. And i have 0 issues with data sync. While Firefox does offer data sync, you can easily turn it off (i've done so).
Like I said in my post, both desktops Sync is turned off. The one pc was just built last week. I do like your solution and will give it a try. Thanks

Reactions: Aeacus