[SOLVED] Cannot turn on xmp

ciprianburbulea

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
Hello.
Configuration:
MSI z490-a pro with Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL White 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18.
The cpu is oced at 5.0 but I cannot seem to get xmp working no matter what.
If i turn it on it wont even boot it will say memorty test failed or something like that.
I managed to boot with xmp on 3000mhhz but it crashes soon after.
For now im stuck with no xmp at 2133mhz.
Latest bios and latest everything.
Tried default settings in bios and only xmp still nothing

larkspur

Distinguished
Hmmmm, it would seem terribly unlikely but keep in mind that the 10700k only officially supports RAM speeds up to 2933. Rare that an Intel memory controller wouldn't be able to handle more than rated spec. I haven't really heard about that happening much. Especially strange that you can't even get DDR4-3000 out of it... Definitely try manual inputs for speed and timings. But maybe you just got a bad kit or were extremely unlucky with your CPU...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I see that when I put on the xmp profile it says 3600 cl16 but mine are cl18 and i cant seem to change that
Turn on Advanced mode of BIOS, go to OC screen, Advanced DRAM Config. You should be able to set timings there. I am just repeating what your mobo manual says. Read it if what I say makes no sense. Online version Page 43.
Manual also says it supports 4000-4400 Mhz RAM, depending on ranks. So 3600 Mhz should be no problem at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel memory controllers don't have an exact limit as such as to what they will support, Intel has no idea exactly what a cpus limits are, because the ram doesn't exist yet. Neither does AMD for that matter. The only limits you see are what's actually current at the time, and Official limits are only what was tested, at the time.

Intel can and does specify limits per chipset, as in the B and H boards being limited, by chipset, but the MC and chipsets on Q, X and Z boards are open ended.

3200/3600 is the sweetspot for value, above those speeds shows diminishing returns and diminishing value to price, except in very rare cases with ram speed specific software, which generally is not games.

TRENDING THREADS