Question Cannot update Android tablet

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
I have an older tablet and I cannot install many apps now because the firmware is so old, but whenever I try to update the OS, it says that my connection is not strong enough, even though I may be a foot away from the router and it says I have 4 bars of wifi.

How can I fix this and update my android?

Ralston18

Titan
Those bars are a very generic indicator of "strength".

And even if the signal is strong, the tablet may be actually having some reception related problem.

Use a wired connection to update the tablet. Or, if applicable, download desired updates to a USB drive and use the USB drive to install the updates.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
How would i wire my tablet to my router?

Edit: I know you can do USB tethering, but this old version of Android doesn't have that option in settings

Last edited:

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
This tablet is very very old I don’t even know how old. It’s from acer and they have OS versions on the support page of their website. It’s currently running Android 4.0.3

I'd hate to say that, but let it die in peace. Even if Acer has an image, it will be for KitKat 4.4. It is many versions before current, and most "fancy" apps these days want at least v5. You might be able to load Custom Android image from Lineage, but don't keep your breath.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
I'd hate to say that, but let it die in peace. Even if Acer has an image, it will be for KitKat 4.4. It is many versions before current, and most "fancy" apps these days want at least v5. You might be able to load Custom Android image from Lineage, but don't keep your breath.
All I need is to update it to Android 4.1, to install the ONE app that I'd like to use on a tablet, how would I go about downloading and installing the newer Android versions?

Your only chance is to update it thru existing firmware, or check whether Asus have published off-line updater, and have the version you need.

You may also check XDA Developer' archives about your tablet. If it was popular back then, someone might have done something.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Acer has published firmwares, and many of them say something along the lines of "
his image only can be upgraded from Acer_AV041_A100_RV02RC01_PA_CUS1.
Please download and read SD image upgrade manual from document page to upgrade this image " That does mean I can install it with an SD card right?