[SOLVED] Cannot update windows 10 without old hard drive plugged in

NaOEt

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Hi. I recently upgraded my old hard drive to a new SSD. I used the windows media installation tool to make a USB to install windows on my new SSD while both the hard drive and SSD were plugged into the computer. While I am now running windows on the SSD rather than hard drive, I wasn't able to boot the computer without the HDD, and executed a command that allowed me to unplug my HDD and boot from my SSD. I realize it was a probably a mistake to have both the HDD and SSD plugged in at the same time while installing windows. I recently tried to update windows 10 with only the SSD plugged in, but I encountered an error. I plugged in the HDD and SSD, and my windows was then able to update. Is there a partition that wasn't installed on the SSD because my HDD had it already and was also plugged in when installing windows? If so, how can I create that partition on my SSD?

Thank you! Please ask for more information if necessary to figure out what the problem is.

Solution
I used the windows media installation tool to make a USB to install windows on my new SSD while both the hard drive and SSD were plugged into the computer.
When installing Windows, you should only have the SSD connected. It probably got this way because windows put the boot sector on the hdd.

It may or may not be fixable. A quick and easy workaround is to simply detach the hdd and then re-install windows on the ssd. Then, after windows has being installed, you can connect the hdd again.
Also, make sure the ssd is before the hdd on boot order in your bios menu.
I used the windows media installation tool to make a USB to install windows on my new SSD while both the hard drive and SSD were plugged into the computer.
When installing Windows, you should only have the SSD connected. It probably got this way because windows put the boot sector on the hdd.

It may or may not be fixable. A quick and easy workaround is to simply detach the hdd and then re-install windows on the ssd. Then, after windows has being installed, you can connect the hdd again.
Also, make sure the ssd is before the hdd on boot order in your bios menu.

Reactions: NaOEt
Solution