Cannot upgrade from 2k Pro to XP Pro

Hi all,

I've got a 4 computers at a small business all of which are running Windows
2000 Pro (off upgrade CDs). I've got 4 copies of Windows XP (OEM) that I'd
like to upgrade. When I go to upgrade I get a message saying "Windows XP
Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to
Microsoft Windows XP Professional."

Grrr.

I'd really rather not do a clean install as I then have to reinstall all my
software. What's the deal?

Thanks,

-Jon

"Jon L." <JonL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| I've got a 4 computers at a small business all of which are running
Windows
| 2000 Pro (off upgrade CDs). I've got 4 copies of Windows XP (OEM) that
I'd
| like to upgrade. When I go to upgrade I get a message saying "Windows XP
| Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
| Microsoft Windows XP Professional."
|
| Grrr.
|
| I'd really rather not do a clean install as I then have to reinstall all
my
| software. What's the deal?
|
| Thanks,
|
| -Jon

Upgrades aren't possible with OEM disks--you have to do a clean install.

Boooooo.

Oh well. This does explain why they were $50 less than everything else.
There are worse problems to have. Thanks for the info!

Jon L. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a 4 computers at a small business all of which are running Windows
> 2000 Pro (off upgrade CDs). I've got 4 copies of Windows XP (OEM) that I'd
> like to upgrade. When I go to upgrade I get a message saying "Windows XP
> Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional."
>
> Grrr.
>
> I'd really rather not do a clean install as I then have to reinstall all my
> software. What's the deal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jon

An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an earlier
OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty hard
drive. It can still be used to perform a repair installation (a.k.a.
an in-place upgrade) of an existing WinXP installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

If you are willing to format the C; partition on your
computers, you can do a clean install with your OEM W XP
Pro. But if you can return them to the seller and exchange
for retail XP Pro upgrade CDs you'll be able to do an
upgrade.

Your choice, cost might be about the same.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
| Jon L. wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I've got a 4 computers at a small business all of which
are running Windows
| > 2000 Pro (off upgrade CDs). I've got 4 copies of
Windows XP (OEM) that I'd
| > like to upgrade. When I go to upgrade I get a message
saying "Windows XP
| > Setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows
2000 Professional to
| > Microsoft Windows XP Professional."
| >
| > Grrr.
| >
| > I'd really rather not do a clean install as I then have
to reinstall all my
| > software. What's the deal?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > -Jon
| >

| An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an
earlier
| OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an
empty hard
| drive. It can still be used to perform a repair
installation (a.k.a.
| an in-place upgrade) of an existing WinXP installation.
|
| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on having