Cannot upgrade storage on pre installed os pc

Feb 27, 2018
Hey y'all I recently bought built a computer what I did is I purchased a operating system pre-installed on a solid state drive yeah big mistake I can upgrade the storage I had a bunch of problems I ended up resetting the PC with operating system still on it it fixed most of the problems but no matter what I cannot add more storage it will not detect it a friend of mine who's in the computer science told me I need a Windows boot disk because some of the options are not available on anything but the installation disc I don't know if a USB would work what do you guys think would appreciate any help you have thank

Sorry, but you should use some punctuation on your sentences, so we could understand better.

Could you provide some info about your system, like model or components?
Are you trying to upgrade the storage or are you trying to add more storage?
When you add a new hard drive, it might not show because it is offline.
To bring it online it needs to be formatted. To do so, use Windows Disk Management.
When you open Disk Management, the disk is marked as “unknown” and “Not initialized” on the left pane.
Right click the disk and select “Initialize Disk” from the menu. Select the partition type and hit OK.
Right click the striped area and select “New Simple Volume”. Click Next, Next and Next for size, letter assignment and format.
Now the new drive is ready.

Feb 27, 2018

My system has a ryzen 3 2200 G processor, a 16gb to X8 stick of 3200 megahertz Ram by G skill, a 450 watt power supply and an Intel 180 GB SSD.
I am trying to add more storage. I tried bringing the disc online by formatting it, it wouldn't even show and it said there is nothing to initialize I believe but also shouldn't it work, Vaya the doc that I bought. It don't even work that way. So I'm wondering you know what to do. Do you think it could be the OS.

Which motherboard do you have?
Does the new drive shows up in the BIOS?

Feb 27, 2018

I have a MSI b350 Tomahawk motherboard, and no it doesn't show up in the Bios and that's with two separate drives.

If the disk does not appear in the BIOS then the OS might not see it.

Either the SATA is disabled in the BIOS or there is an issue with the SATA cables or SATA power or SATA ports.
Turn off the computer and re-check SATA data cable and SATA power cable connections on the HDD and motherboard.
Reset the BIOS to default by pressing the F6 key while in the BIOS, then hit the F10 ket to save and exit.

Feb 27, 2018

That would make sense but it still doesn't work if I use a dock and plug it in using a USB cable

Did you get the SATA drive new?
When the disk is connected via USB does it appears on the Windows Disk Management?
Have you tested the HDD with the USB cable in another computer?
If it is a 3.5" disk it should have a power source, since USB alone won't be able to provide enough power.
Also it could be that you got a dead HDD.