Cannot XMP Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 DDR3 in an ASUS P8 h77-m csr motherboard

It's common to sometimes have to add a bit of voltage when all four slots are used, even though your using the XMP Profile you may have to increase the memory voltage a bit. It may be a voltage setting between 1.5v and 1.6v, possibly something like 1.535v or 1.575, so start at the next setting after 1.5v and see which one will run the ram. You won't need to go past 1.6v.

citecrim

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Well, I have news, compadres. It still doesn't work, and my XMP profile is 9/9/9/27/1.65v

This seems appropriate, but it really doesn't like me when I try. One odd thing: as soon as I enter the default XMP settings and hit 'save settings and reboot' in my bios, the system hangs. This does not seem normal. I just updated my bios today. It did the same thing when I had an older version of bios.

Drat. Any suggestions?

What CPU do you have? With the XMP Profile you shouldn't have to be making all these changes to get it to work. The hanging of the bios is an indicator of something possibly wrong with the settings. I would say to try the BCLK but you would have to not have the ram at 1866mhz because raising the BCLK will also raise the memory speed. There are a lot of settings that can be adjusted to try and get it to work but as I said you shouldn't have to be doing this with the XMP Profile.

citecrim

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I have an i7 2600 3.2GHz that is otherwise set at bios defaults. I agree with you completely, and am really confused about the problem. Maybe it's some kind of bios glitch? IDK. Let me know if you can think of any issues or would like any other information about my system. Thank you again.

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hi, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. Although, your ASUS P8H77-M motherboard supports up to 2300Mhz overclocked memory speed and 1600Mhz stable, your i7-2600 only supports up to 1333Mhz memory speed. The 3rd Gen i7 processors support 1600Mhz speed. So the problem (most likely) is that the processor's memory controller is unable to handle the 1600Mhz speed under normal circumstances. If you have any other questions, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

Since your not overclocking the i7-2600k then that means the XMP Profile won't work because the processor needs to be overclocked to get the XMP Profile to work. We're not talking a big overclock and it actually only needs to be enough to get the XMP Profile to work. Like going from 3.2ghz to 3.6ghz and it wouldn't even require a voltage change. In the bios there will be a CPU level up that will have three speed choices and the setting are already preset.

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* 1600MHz and higher frequency is supported by Intel® 3rd generation processors.

citecrim

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
This sounds reasonable. I am traveling for a few days, and will give overclocking a go as soon as I return. I'll let you know of my progress.

You are both so knowledgeable! Thanks for the expert help.